1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

injured duck... help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pogo0685, Nov 18, 2011.

1. pogo0685

pogo0685 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    When I went out today to let my ducks and goose out of their house one of my ducks was covered in blood, and his bill was covered in blood and parts are missing like someone took a rasp file thing to it, the goose had dried blood all over his bill so I know he did it. Goose is now gone, injured duck is in my bathroom. He was drinking at first and got his face a little wet, looked slightly better but he has not eaten or drank any water in at least 8 hours. What do I do? I am scared he will die but I don't know of any vet around here that will look at him, should I give him some medication? If so what? And where can I get it? We have a big r store but that's about all around here. Thanks! I have pictures of him but don't know how to upload them on here with my phone

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I email the photo to myself, open it on my computer and save it to disk. Then I use the Uploads page on BYC. I choose the file, then when that upload is done, copy and paste the address into the message. Did that make sense? Anyway, it's the Uploads tab near the top of the page.

Your duck may be in shock. See if you can encourage him to eat or drink. Does he like peas? Give him a little of a treat, not too much?

A clean, safe, quiet place, some reassurances from you, may be the most important thing you can do for a while.

If you don't already have poultry vitamins, they're available at feed stores. But in a pinch, some pedialyte (unflavored), a few tablespoons of yogurt in water, or a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (non pasteurized) in drinking water may help.

Can you get him into some lukewarm water so he can wash off a little more?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How old is this duck? can you tell how badly injured it is ? if in shock then please do as Amiga has suggested and hopefully you'll see a turn around soon, ducks are very hardy and can come back from extreme injuries. Please keep us updated. [​IMG]

4. pogo0685

Apr 21, 2011
    Thanks! I have no internet on my computer because wild blue sucks :-( I will get him in another warm bath right now and see if that helps him, and get some acv in his water too and try the peas! I so hope he comes through, I am so sad that this happened. Thanks so very much!

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:We'll be waiting to hear how it's doing.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

Please keep us posted.

Don't forget to talk calmly and sing gently to the duck. I think that comforting noises are important. Even a little "duck, duck, duck."

(They don't require opera-quality singing, don't worry.)

7. pogo0685

Apr 21, 2011
    He is 9 months old, he is in the bath right now and I tried to wash him off but of course he didn't like it at all so I did as much as I could without hurting him, and how he seems to be drinking his bath water. He is in the bathroom away from all animals and as far ad I can tell and what I felt its only his bill / where his bill connects to his face that is hurt so I am hoping it looks worse than it really is. It looks like the goose latched on to him and just wouldn't let go.

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Youch!

Good that he's drinking. You're doing good things for him. Thanks for the post - perhaps he'll take some ACV and water soon.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:X2

10. pogo0685

Apr 21, 2011
    He still has not drank anything other than bath water, he has 2 bowls one with water acv mix and one with water pedialyte mix, but he is starting to talk and last check of the night he was up and walking around the bathroom, I thought that was awesome because all day he just hid in the corner so now he is at least coming out! He also still has not eaten though :-( hopefully he will tomorrow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by