Injured duck leg with no sign of injury

AliceCaelum

Chirping
May 11, 2019
Hello all, I have a strange issue going on with the two ducks that I own and maybe someone might be able to help me figure out what's going on. So I have two male crested Pekin ducks and they live indoors with me. They're both two and a half years old and have not experienced any other health issues or injuries so far. Starting last Thursday night, the 5th, I noticed one of them was all of a sudden limping, doing his best to stay off his right leg. He's still eating and drinking normally, quacking as usual, and trying to get up and move around like nothing is wrong, but is clearly staying off his right leg whenever he can. I looked at his leg and foot and there are no signs of cuts or bruises, or anything as it looks perfectly normal. It's not broken either as he still stands on it to flap his wings and can stretch it. I figured it was just sprained and have been massaging it as well as giving him some Epsom Salt baths to help relax his leg.

It's been a few days and his condition hasn't changed, he's still acting normal, but stays off his leg and I just noticed my other duck started limping and staying off his right leg as well, making me wonder what could be effecting both of them like this. Does anyone here have the slightest idea why both of them would start limping on the exact same leg within such a short time span of each other? Are there any illnesses or diseases that might effect one leg and not the other that I'm unaware of? Is there anything else I can do or give them in the meantime to help them and potentially speed up their recovery? I have absolutely no idea what to do or what's wrong and there are no vets anywhere near me that can see them for at least 2 more weeks for an appointment. Any help is appreciated.

Hello all, I have a strange issue going on with the two ducks that I own and maybe someone might be able to help me figure out what's going on. So I have two male crested Pekin ducks and they live indoors with me. They're both two and a half years old and have not experienced any other health issues or injuries so far. Starting last Thursday night, the 5th, I noticed one of them was all of a sudden limping, doing his best to stay off his right leg. He's still eating and drinking normally, quacking as usual, and trying to get up and move around like nothing is wrong, but is clearly staying off his right leg whenever he can. I looked at his leg and foot and there are no signs of cuts or bruises, or anything as it looks perfectly normal. It's not broken either as he still stands on it to flap his wings and can stretch it. I figured it was just sprained and have been massaging it as well as giving him some Epsom Salt baths to help relax his leg.

It's been a few days and his condition hasn't changed, he's still acting normal, but stays off his leg and I just noticed my other duck started limping and staying off his right leg as well, making me wonder what could be effecting both of them like this. Does anyone here have the slightest idea why both of them would start limping on the exact same leg within such a short time span of each other? Are there any illnesses or diseases that might effect one leg and not the other that I'm unaware of? Is there anything else I can do or give them in the meantime to help them and potentially speed up their recovery? I have absolutely no idea what to do or what's wrong and there are no vets anywhere near me that can see them for at least 2 more weeks for an appointment. Any help is appreciated.
Niacin deficiencies are common in ducks, have you ever supplemented niacin for them? Niacin deficiencies can cause weakness in their legs. If you haven’t given them any I suggest at least giving them brewers yeast over their food. Are their legs twisted or splayed oddly? Maybe post some pictures. If it continues or seems super bad you could get this stuff. You don’t inject it into the duck, you just sprinkle it on food. I don’t know dosage for a full grown duck though.

Attachments

• 8792CC3B-EE63-4481-936C-380DE14D3861.jpeg
    8792CC3B-EE63-4481-936C-380DE14D3861.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 9
I was thinking that it might have been niacin deficiency, but I wasn't too sure. Their legs were splayed normally, so I never really suspected it until now. I'll try ordering some Brewer's Yeast through Amazon and hopefully that helps. Since they just recently started having issues, I hope it's not too serious and is treatable.

Niacin deficiencies are common in ducks, have you ever supplemented niacin for them? Niacin deficiencies can cause weakness in their legs. If you haven’t given them any I suggest at least giving them brewers yeast over their food.

Just chiming in, you can also use Nutritional Yeast too for the niacin. And I believe if caught early can be reversible.

I'm sure others will jump on this too. Pictures are usually great to add so they can see if anything looks off!

Nutritional yeast is my favorite for starting them off to prevent Niacin def but when one has symptoms already then the liquid b complex is what you want. @picklestheduck has the picture up on what to get. the dose is 1ml for each drake over a tasty treat daily if it's niacin def then the liquid B complex should get them back to normal and then start them on Nutritional yeast. If it's an injury of some kind but weird both would have one, then rest and warm water therapy is the way to go along with the liquid B Complex.

You haven't noticed them tussling with each other? Sometimes drakes will get into a fight and can injure themselves.

Just overnighted some Brewers Yeast from Amazon last night, so I'll thankfully be getting it this morning. Since they just started showing issues with walking a few days ago, I hope it's not too late and reversible, as I'll start giving it to them today. It breaks my heart every time I see them limping around.

So I got some of the Vitamin B Complex linked earlier in this topic. Does anyone have any idea how much I should be giving them daily to help them recover?

It’s 1 ml for each drake over something they really love so they
get full dose. And don’t give them a lot of treat just enough they eat it right down

Back
Top Bottom