injured duck leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Brianm97, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    my freind has two mallards that roam his yard and his neighbors and sleep in a make shift pen. one of them collapses every time it puts weight on teh foot i wen over and it doesnt look broken i will post pics soon and hopfully a video if i can figure it out. she looks like part is ripped off they tryed to pen her the best possiable they dont have any meds or anything. she lloks like she is missing what would be a dew claw for a dog

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    umm this is kinda important... [​IMG]

3. Jane Jill Jack

Jane Jill Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    My hens once had their nests high up, and in the past year about two hens got to limping for a few days. When they hit the ground their legs got shocked somehow and the muscles or tendons didn't work well. It was only for a little while, and they started walking straight again. Maybe somthing similar happened? I don't really have a good guess. [​IMG]

Hope the duck hets better.

4. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    i do to the ducks lay on the ground and cant fly.

5. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    Feeling the love...

6. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    bump again... [​IMG] anyone? [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It's bumblefoot.

May not be too late to use this method:

Requires keeping her isolated for about a day, maybe less, depending just so they can get to her for treatment.

Bathe in warm water.
    Clean off with betadine or similar
    wipe triple antibiotic ointment top and bottom of foot
    if possible, wrap the foot - now this is not like a person foot wrap - has to allow the foot to keep its shape - some use baby socks, some use sanitary gauze under vet wrap. Sometimes I just give up and keep the bird in a very clean dry spot overnight and let the triple antibiotic do its work (brand names include Neosporin - don't use the kind that kills pain, that may do the duck some harm)

sending this quick

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If it's soon enough, within a day or two she should stop limping and favoring the foot.

It will take about six to eight (yup!) weeks of treating her twice a day, morning and night, with a cleansing wipe and triple antibiotic. But, that is much more affordable than a vet, and much much less risky than trying to open it.

Warm soaks in a bucket or tub may help, if you can swing it. Or, try some warm wet compresses.

Prayers for you all.

10. Brianm97

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    Thanks for all the help... not. only one helped and today he died. thanks alot. i appreciate it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by