Injured duck - need input please!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bakinbaker, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Bakinbaker

Bakinbaker Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    This morning we discovered that our Runner, Brownie, had some blood; it's not a lot but it was on her foot and abdomen but as far as I can tell her foot is okay and the blood is just from her sitting on it.

All 4 ducks go into the same "hut" at night. My question is can one duck really hurt another in that manner, I mean they don't have teeth and her face isn't injured, just her abdomen.

A dog dug under the fence last night (we have an a**hole of a neighbor) and I thought that I got out there right when it happened but and the dog didn't get to the ducks but now I'm not so sure. When we saw the dog coming up under the fence I went out and trapped her while the kids put the ducks up and there hadn't been a commotion previously (I would have heard I was sitting 3ft from the door for hours before and after).

So can ducks injure each other and draw blood like that or should I be looking at another culprit?

2. Bakinbaker

Oct 26, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Also, we've put her in isolation in one of the bathtubs so it's warmer and she's secluded from any other ducks or animals. Should I give her a bath? I'm going to go get some vitamins this afternoon - anything else I should do?

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Can you find a wound? is there anything sharp in the coop? Can ducks hurt each other... yes and no... i mean, my two drakes fought the other day, nobody got bloodied and there Muscovy so BIG claws lol

I have had a duck(female) catch a nail and then it bled, we cleaned it up no worries. The dog coming over is a concern but i would bet a dog would have done much more harm than a small injury but again, i'd thoroughly check the bird over and there set-up/housing.

4. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    A tubby is always welcomed by duck, if anything it will clean her up that said removing her from her flock will put stress on her and the rest of them only in extreme cases of injury would I do this.

5. Bakinbaker

Oct 26, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I separated her because our first thought was that it was duck-on-duck attack. Now I'm not so sure. I also wanted to bring her in because it's pretty chilly today and I want her to be warm and rest.

As for sharp objects in the "hut" no, it's just hay. It's a plastic dogloo with a bunch of hay we put in by hand every 2 days.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    One nice thing about a nice warm bath is you maybe able to see an injury better. yes drakes can cause mortal injuries to each other, but Unless you have noticed your ducks ganging up on this particular duck then I think I'd look elsewhere for the perpetrator . If you are having a problem with a neighbors dog and they know about but refuse to do anything, then you have a few options, call animal control or take care of the problem yourself SSS, but you do have the right to protect your livestock[pets] from predators whether wild or domesticated. Hope she fully recovers.

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Unless she's a new duck/flock that would be well unlikely i don't want to say impossible because as ML some drakes can rip each other apart, heck so can some ducks [​IMG] I've had some unrest recently in my flock, my drakes as said were fighting the other day and i've had several ducks fight in the last week or two BUT my birds have had to re arrange the flock as i sold off 7 so they need to sort the pecking order, nobody has been injured just feathers flying literally lol

If there are no sharp objects anywhere, what does this wound look like? with having the bath you should have been able to examine it closely to see is it a puncture, scratch, slice etc...

ML covered the dog, they can finish a flock, darn quick so that issue definitely needs to be resolved you may not be there next time, unfortunately.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Take a look at her hallux, I have had ducks injure that and it causes some bleeding on the foot and belly when they sit down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by