Injured duck? Trouble walking

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NellaBean, Jul 7, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I have 12 ducks that I got from Metzers mid May. They are 7 weeks old now. 8 runners, 4 Welsh Harlequin. One of the runners has been having trouble walking for a few days....It seems to be worse on one leg...she will sometimes shuffle on her belly, or if she can get herself up will limp around hunched over a few steps and then lay back down.

Do you think this is an actual injury or a vitamin deficiency? They have been on flock raiser......with some peas and scratch here and there.

I separated her for now....

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    If it was a nutritional issue- you would most likely see some symptoms in others birds as well. Can you check the leg for and swelling or heat. If there is inflammation of a joint it will most likely be very warm.

3. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I will check tonight. I have her in a raised 2x4 hutch. I have some brewers yeast tablets I can crush and put in her food or water just in case. All of the others are perfectly fine. I will have to check her leg over...I did check her feet the other day to maek sure there was no injury and did not see anything obvious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by