injured duck wing after dogs a attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by critterranch, Jan 1, 2011.

1. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    my runner drake survived 3 dogs attacking him but there is something wrong with his wing . i was wondering how to tell if it is spraned/dislocated/or broken?
    he flops over when he trys to walk he cant keep his balance. i put him in bath tub to swim and clean him up. he can swim fine with his legs. anyone know how to tell if its just the muscule?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I think that the treatment would be the same for any of these injuries. Imobilize the wing, say with that self adhesive ace bandage.

3. critterranch

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It doesn't look like it is sitting at the same degree as the other one. You should immobilize the wing as was said, is there a wound also on the wing?

5. critterranch

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    i have him wrapped now he will see he is resting at moment

right about wing on left there is a punture wound in muscule i was wondering if this is what is keeping his wing from working?
    yes wing on left is injured wing
    yes small puncurte wound on right wing not to worried about that every small
    yes i had to fight dogs off i was home other wise he would of been dead a big boxer had him in his mouth flopping him around
    had to chase after them with 2x4 and scream and yell lol the boxer dropped him because he wanted to come after me
    this was a sight to be hold .... found out dogs live 1.7 miles from me over two roads and we have very thick woods
    the guy did not enough apoligize totally rude

choc lab black lab and boxer

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Did you call animal control or sherriff department? Wow thats amazing he wasn't killed with all of that going on, so sorry. keep us updated on how he is

7. critterranch

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    [​IMG]

dog warden said he would be out on monday cause they are an hour away from me . sheriffs dont care they just forward your call to dog warden (an aswering machince) lol . then they call you and come when they feel like it.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    poor baby, I hope they will take these dogs in because as you know they will be back, you'll just have to be ready this time.

9. critterranch

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    he didn't make it. died during the night in bathroom. i think he might of been hurt inside. last night he wouldn't eat or drink. i kind of knew.
    going to incubate as many eggs as i can now.

10. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am so sorry for your loss. You still need to talk to the dog people. And have something done about them. Once again I am sorry:barnie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by