Injured duck wing - opinions please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BrownEyedGal, Mar 1, 2014.

1. BrownEyedGal

BrownEyedGal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2013
    Liverpool - UK
    Hi all,

So yesterday morning when I let our two out of their house, Deefer had an injured left wing. They do throw themselves around inside their house because they want to get out. We let them out about 7:15-7:40am and put them to bed about 9pm.

I've attached some pics to see what you think. I'm hoping its just a sprain. It seems to be worse in the morning. The first two pics are from this morning and then later on.

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Looks like a broken humerous to me.

Clint

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I know nothing about setting a broken wing but you might try using vet wrap and placing wing in natural fold along body [like they would naturally hold it] and wrapping it not to snug but snug enough to keep him/her from getting out of it.

4. BrownEyedGal

Sep 19, 2013
    Liverpool - UK
    Oh no, do you think so? I'm really hoping its not broken! Might have to take her to the vet I think.

Thanks Miss Lydia, I'll see if I can find some wrap. The thing is she gets worked up when we pick her up and I don't want her to further damage her wing trying to get away, it might be less stressful for her if we ask the vet...more expensive though!!!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I wonder if she could fold it up if it was broken? I think asking a vet would be a good idea. and if you have to take her wrap her up in a big towel so she can't flap her wings. Even if sprained it might help to wrap for a couple days to see if it helps.

6. Speceider

Apr 4, 2011

She will not be able to fold it up.. ..nothing that looks like a sprain. ...actually never heard it seen a sprain in a wing.. ..

Clint

7. BrownEyedGal

Sep 19, 2013
    Liverpool - UK
    Yeh I'm not sure if they can or not but I presume if there's muscle there then there is the potential to sprain.

Yeh, I think trip to the vet will be in order then! Yeh I usually chuck a big towel over them then they just freeze!
    Silly duck! Hope she's ok, poor girl.
    Thanks for the advice!

8. Speceider

Apr 4, 2011
    Sprains are joints.. ..not muscles.. ..looks like broken bone.

Clint

9. BrownEyedGal

Sep 19, 2013
    Liverpool - UK
    Thanks Clint, I know that sprains/strains are ligament/muscle damage rather than the bone itself so I was hoping it would be that, rather than a bone injury. But won't know either way until vet examines. Will update when I know.

10. BrownEyedGal

Sep 19, 2013
    Liverpool - UK
    So a quick update, her wing is pretty much back to normal now. Holding it in a normal position and she even flapped it earlier. Didnt need to take her to the vet in the end.

Must have just been a sprain or something like I thought/hoped! Phew! Will just keep an eye on her and hopefully she'll continue to improve! Thanks again! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by