Injured duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Animallover2k, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Animallover2k

Animallover2k Just Hatched

Oct 2, 2016
    Hi,
    I have a Pekin duck with a large bump on its foot. to me, it looks like an abscess. It's been there for quite some time. I know he's in pain due to how he walks. He also struggles to paddle in the water. Can anyone tell me what this might be and how to treat it? I'm not a duck person. I inherited him when I moved here and the owner moved away. I hate seeing him in pain!
    Trying to attach picture now...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It could be bumble foot which is infection. If you can get a pic uploaded that would help. Can you pick him up willingly or unwillingly? he is going to need some treatment Start by soaking the foot I do both feet since it's easier in some nice warm Epsom salt water half gal to half cup of ES. [don't let him drink this it is also a laxative.] I use a gal bucket and set the feet down into the bucket and hold the duck so it doesn't jump out. Hold in at least 5 mins longer if possible. Then after soaking take some clear iodine has to be clear, and put all over swelling top and bottom of foot I use a cotton ball or q tip to get a good amount on the bumble.. It may take a few days to a week to get the scab soft enough to pull up with out tearing the skin so just keep doing the soaking and iodine till you can pull up the scab easily. Once the scab comes off you can usually get the hard core out either by pressing or sometimes it will come out with the scab. If the infection is really bad and there is alot of swelling a vet maybe your only recourse becasue Bumble if staff and it can spread into joints and other body parts.If you can get the bumble out yourself then you need to pack with antibiotic ointment and wrap to keep clean till healed. So he will most likely need to be penned in a clean area. I sure hope you can help him ducks do have an amazing ability to heal once treatment gets started..
    @Animallover2k Welcome to BYC

3. Animallover2k

Oct 2, 2016
    I can't for the life of me figure out how to get my pictures up. Still working on it.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  5. Animallover2k

Oct 2, 2016
    [​IMG]

6. Animallover2k

Oct 2, 2016
    [​IMG]

7. Animallover2k

Oct 2, 2016
    Thank you!

8. Animallover2k

Oct 2, 2016
    Hopefully these photos will help.

9. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That does look sore....It appears as though the toenail is missing? Lots of swelling....Looks infected to me....Not sure but I would try soaking it in epsom salt...Does it ooze?

Poor Bird....

10. Animallover2k

Oct 2, 2016
    I saw it bleeding the other day. That's the only time I've seen anything come out. I never noticed the nail before. We have turtles in our lake and that me be the reason for that. I may just take him in to a vet I know that treats birds. I don't know if he would let me do all that you were saying that needs to be done. I feel so sorry for him [​IMG].
    Thanks for all of your input

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by