Injured duck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by helen5895, Feb 10, 2017.

1. helen5895

helen5895 Just Hatched

Feb 8, 2017
    Morning everyone, so I went and let my ladies and their fella out this morning , only to be greeted my what reminded me of a horror movie. My drake with blood all around his neck and 1 female bleeding from her wing. At first I thought maybe a rat got in but after reading up on here I now think it's just from mating. Is it normal for them to get injuries from matings. Iv washed my flock and sprayed them all up with wound spray, they look like a 2 year old has been at them with purple paint brush lol.

2. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    That doesn't sound like mating! If this was because of them breeding to much, the drake wouldn't have the injuries. Could you post so pics of them?

3. helen5895

helen5895 Just Hatched

Feb 8, 2017
    I'm not sure if my mr grumpy has actual wounds as he's a bit of a nipper, the blood on his neck could be from daisies injury. Hers is on her wing/shoulder. I'll go take a pic in a mo. Thanks for getting back to me.

4. helen5895

helen5895 Just Hatched

Feb 8, 2017
    Hi, impossible to take a pic while holding daisie, on proper inspection her feathers have literally been ripped out and left little holes where they should be. Pinned Mr grumpy (not a good experience for me lol) he has no open wounds as first thought, all his blood must be daisies. Really hope he hasn't done that to her or I'll have to separate them and don't really want to do that.

5. GoldenFlight

GoldenFlight Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Then it must be him...[​IMG] I know you don't want to, but the best thing for her would be to separate him from her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by