Injured duck

HMR83

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2020
Hey all. Very new to this. Over the weekend we had some dogs get into our duck and chicken coops and kill all but one duck that I was able to get to just in time. I believe he may have a broken wing which I am working on addressing but I have noticed he is also very wobbly. He was being fed, watered and provided room to free range and a pool but we never held him so he isn't use to me in that sort of way. He is in a large kennel in my garage for now and I am hoping to save this poor lone survivor but a vet is out of the question. Could his wobblyness be from the broken wing potentially? This was also our first round with chickens which lasted almost 2 years and we never had anything get to them before. This was almost like a freak thing which we intend to never happen again! Please any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

Hey all. Very new to this. Over the weekend we had some dogs get into our duck and chicken coops and kill all but one duck that I was able to get to just in time. I believe he may have a broken wing which I am working on addressing but I have noticed he is also very wobbly. He was being fed, watered and provided room to free range and a pool but we never held him so he isn't use to me in that sort of way. He is in a large kennel in my garage for now and I am hoping to save this poor lone survivor but a vet is out of the question. Could his wobblyness be from the broken wing potentially? This was also our first round with chickens which lasted almost 2 years and we never had anything get to them before. This was almost like a freak thing which we intend to never happen again! Please any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!
Sometimes after something like that even though it’s just a broken wing they can be traumatized. If your duck is wobbly, it may be dehydrated, some electro lights in water may help and then also fix the wing and see if that solves. And if you live in a super cold area sometimes a heat lamp works but I don’t think it will be needed, you don’t want to fry your duck! Hope that helps!

The only thing he has eaten in 3 days is some lettuce which is just making him poop and a small handful of like scratch grains. He hasn't touched his food but is drinking plenty of water. He has definitely perked up but in all my research I couldn't find anything regarding the wobblyness. Thanks guys

Sometimes after something like that even though it’s just a broken wing they can be traumatized. If your duck is wobbly, it may be dehydrated, some electro lights in water may help and then also fix the wing and see if that solves. And if you live in a super cold area sometimes a heat lamp works but I don’t think it will be needed, you don’t want to fry your duck! Hope that helps!
Welcome to BYC, sorry for you losses and your injured duck. :hugs Can you bring him inside where it's warmer? Have you check him thoroughly for injuries?
He is in our garage in a large dog cage where it is currently about 45 degrees. We are in Ohio but when with the past couple of nights being cold the temp in the garage has not dropped below freezing. He has straw and food and water. I just made his some soup out of his food to try and I am waiting for it to cool now. He is not used to being handled but my goal this evening is to see if I can tape his wing and with the weather getting a little warmer the next few days I was hoping to let him roam outside under supervision of course. I have a dog and when he sees him he is very scared so he cannot come inside. My concern is that the incident happened Saturday, have I waited to long to tend to his wing? I had a child with the flu and unfortunately that took some time away from the duck. And please understand I greatly, GREATLY appreciate everyone's help and nice words but I will not be taking him to a vet or performing drastic measures. I will do the best with what I can because I am an animal lover but I can't put the money into him. He isn't our pet per se. I have enjoyed watching him play in the pool and forage in the yard but I just cannot put a lot of money into him. BUT I would still very much appreciate any advice or tips that anyone can give me!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom