Injured Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by animallvr, May 7, 2011.

1. animallvr

animallvr New Egg

Dec 27, 2010
    Not too happy with my family right now... we are in the process of moving and I am not out there every day while I am at our old house cleaning. Well three days ago now I was out there and noticed my one duck not walking right. I flipped out in a a panic... my animals are my world. I did pick him up to find his feet all tangled in a piece of string. No idea where this string came from and still trying to find out. I managed to cut it off him but the one leg was so tight around his leg he has a indentation. Today three days later that indentation is still there. At first he bared no weight on it... I removed him immediatly from the others and he is in my house so we can monitor him. He is free roam in one room. He does bare weight now but very very little. There is heat coming from the leg. I know he has feeling in his foot. He is learning to walk with his wing now, his leg seems always in the air. Anyone have any ideas of what we can do? I tried vets around here and it seems nobody does ducks. I was thinking about wrapping it but afraid it may freak him out more. Thank you in advance.

2. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

I was told once that if you just take you duck to an aviary vet without notice and tell them wat is wrong it is very hard for them to turn you away because your duck is in need of help and they do have the basic knowledge of birds and can at least take an xray. I would suggest that and tell them you have no where else to go.

Good luck and hope this has helped. Hope your duck gets back to walking soon! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by