Injured duck...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rotarhead, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Rotarhead

Rotarhead New Egg

Aug 17, 2014
    I was wondering if you could help me out a little. Maybe have an idea of what is wrong and what I can do to help...if anything. I had to let all my birds out of their pens due to damages caused by the ice/snow storms that happened here in TN. I rounded all my ducks up today and found out I was missing one of my Khaki drakes. I thought he was gone for good by a predator. Well, he was eventually found out in the middle of the field laying on his back. I couldn't find any actual puncture wounds but it looks like something got him behind his neck and there was a little bit of blood on his feathers. I tried to put him back in with his buddy's and then found out he wouldn't stay up right. I put him down and he would fall sideways. Then when he tried to walk he would roll over to his back and become stuck. I wanted to give him a chance so I brought him home in a cat carrier today (my animals are on a separate property). He was finally laying down upright and started to quack at me when he saw me. Just a minute ago I tried to let him walk. If he kept it slow and I was there to catch him he could take a few steps but as soon as he tried to speed up it was back to his back. Well, he flopped his way over to our pond and got in. I thought I was going to have to save him but he is currently swimming very well. Every once in a while he starts to roll to one side a little but catches himself each time. He will be a year old here in the next month or so and has been happy and healthy the whole time. I'm pretty positive whatever is happening is due to the attack. Do you think it's some sort of psychological trauma? Do you think that giving him swimming therapy time may help him walk in due time? Kind of just looking for thoughts and advice as I don't want to have to put him down but will if necessary. I was only going to give him tonight but he is doing so well swimming I think I might extend that. Any thoughts and ideas on how to help would be great. Thanks!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    This is the first I have seen your post - don't know why . . .

anyway, hope he is still with you.

Yes, trauma can cause troubles.

And hydrotherapy is very good for ducks.

I would actually get him into a lukewarm tub of water and look him over very well. Around the vent, under the wings, look for any puncture wounds. Feathers can be clipped away around a wound so you can see it better and treat it easier.

Find where the blood was coming from and rinse it with saline solution or Vetericyn a few times a day.

See if his ears were injured - a predator may have had him by the head.

Electrolytes and vitamins in his drinking water can also help his recovery.

Please let us know how it goes.

3. Rotarhead

Rotarhead New Egg

Aug 17, 2014
    Forgot to update. I gave him a few weeks at the house and swim therapy in the little ornamental pond we have. He slowly got better and better and once he got to where he would leave the pond on his own for a break and was harder to catch I moved him back out to the barn with his flock. He is currently still out there and thriving. He still trips and walks like he is drunk at times but it's mostly when he is in a hurry. Other than that you can barely tell something happened to him.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by