Injured duckling, can anyone help?

Tippiebear

Hatching
Dec 9, 2015
Florida
First let me say I'm new to posting, but frequently read the threads.

Ok so I let my ducklings outside yesterday and when I went to bring them back in, they weren't running up to me. I walked out in the yard and one of the ducklings wasn't getting up. His siblings were sitting by his side. He had a blood mark on his back. I brought him in and cleaned the wound with some peroxide. It doesn't seem to be a large wound, but rather a hard peck. I'm wondering if one of my chickens got him
1f614.png

He's eating, drinking and pooping just fine. He can't walk or balance. I put him in the tub last night to try to relieve any pressure from what I assumed possible broken leg... He couldn't even balance in the water!

He's just scooting around. I looked him over several times. I don't notice any other injuries except the back.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Was it a very deep wound? Is it on the spine? I'd post in the 'Emergency, diseases, injuries and cures' They will be able to help you better there. Since this is a welcoming forum, it doesn't get much traffic. Good luck with your baby. :hugs

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. Was it a very deep wound? Is it on the spine? I'd post in the 'Emergency, diseases, injuries and cures' They will be able to help you better there. Since this is a welcoming forum, it doesn't get much traffic. Good luck with your baby. :hugs

Thank you!

It may be a spine injury. He seems a little bit better, but he's having the problem mostly on the left. At least that what I noticed in the tub today

Maybe when the swelling goes down, he'll get his mobility back. It seems to be right at the pelvis. There is usually pretty good bones there. But by him being young, it might be softer. I had to watch my chickens around my three month old chicks. I looked away for a moment and one almost ripped her small comb off. I was able to get it to reattach. But she lost a lot of blood. It scared me, I thought she got her eye.
1f626.png

I'm happy to report our little duck is doing better! He's been standing (wobbly). I'm thinking maybe he sprained his left foot/leg. He can swim in water without losing his balance, but is definitely having a hard time with the left side. When he eats he prefers to sit, but still doing much better. I have them in a Rubbermaid bin since the injury. The injured duck in his own bin, but still next to his siblings (they really need each other). This is the first time on the back patio in a while.

Back
Top Bottom