1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured Duckling HELP!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by minimatt22, May 27, 2016.

1. minimatt22

minimatt22 New Egg

May 27, 2016
    Orange County California
    Hi I have a duckling that's 22 days old (breed unknown.) He's usually really active and runs around a lot. However i was cleaning his house today and I put him behind a baby hate when the gate fell onto the poor guy. I lifted it off of him quickly. The mesh part (possibly the wood part I didn't get a good look) hit him. He has no visible injuries but now he's just sitting down in one spot. He won't swim or run. I gave him his favourite treat, grapes, and he only ate some of the grape that I cut into eighths as opposed to his usual 2 grapes. I also noticed that his breathing seems to be labored. He breathes with 2 breaths and I just noticed now that he's making a weird snorting noise sort of like when you're trying to breathe with a stuffy nose or something. Does anyone know what's wrong and how to fix it?

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    It sounds like an internal injurie I don't know what to do for it though sorry

3. Franzoo

Franzoo Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2016

4. Franzoo

Franzoo Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2016
    Looks like my Swedish blue? Try putting in water, see if she will drink. Mine always would sound stuffy if they hadn't been in the water. Maybe? Just a guess.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It does sound like serious internal injuries. I would get the duckling to a vet if at all possible.

6. minimatt22

minimatt22 New Egg

May 27, 2016
    Orange County California
    Thanks for all your replies but Cinco just died he was trying to breathe I think something happened to his lung :'(

7. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    O I'm so sorry when the gate fell on him maybe it broke something and punctured one of its lungs I am so sorry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by