Injured Duckling - pics

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by katharinad, Jul 9, 2010.

1. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Poor little thing panicked about something, tried to jump out of the pool, and twisted the wing tip outwards. I hope wrapping will fix it, and only time will tell. Here is a picture of the poor little guy in isolation. I've added a body so it is not lonely.
    And for fun, one of our dogs got a young squirrel up the tree. Cute little one.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan

poor duck.
    he looks a little disturbed about wearing that wrap.
    what a nice color though, i love the purple.
    the wrapped duck is saying to his friend,
    "come here quick! she's comin with the camera!"

they have such beautiful faces
    katharina, you have such lovely birds,
    and it is obvious how much you love them, and how well you take care of them.
    thank you for sharing these pics.

3. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Sympathy for the duck AND GREAT picture of the squirrel!
  4. katharinad

They are actually standing at the gate to the backyard where we have a kiddie pool. They just want to go and have fun. Sorry they have to deal with just a water bowl for drinking. They are Saxony ducks and about 5 weeks old.

My husband bough me yesterday a new digital camera. I was still using a 15 year old one with only 2 mega pixels. The new one is currently on sale at Walmart for $179. It is the Canon SX120 IS, with 10 mega pixels and 10x zoom. I even records video. I'm so amazed how good this camera is. No only is is small and light, but the picture quality is fantastic. I know you can get higher pixels and smaller cameras, but I wanted the zoom, a 3" LCD display and something my husbands fat fingers can operate. [​IMG] That squirrel was way up and the zoom picked it up without a hitch.
  5. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    NE Washington State
    The wrap looks pretty tight to allow food to process through the system. You might want to take it off while the duck eats. Their lungs are right under the back and they can be compressed by wrapping too tight.
  6. katharinad

It does look tight, but the duck is eating and doing well. The other feathers really puff up. Thanks for your concern.
  7. katharinad

Just went out to check on the little fellow, and just to make sure. It's not tight the wings actually slid somewhat out.
  8. BjsBestGirl

BjsBestGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    1832 MC 4008
    Thats the EXACT same camera i have been wanting. Im going to get it next month for my photography class at the college. Thanks for posting the pics. I love your ducks, they're BEAUTIFUL! Is the hurt one a boy and the other a girl?

9. katharinad

I suspect that it is a boy, but I don't know yet. Don't want to invade its privacy either. [​IMG] The one to the left is a girl for sure, it quack really loud.
  10. katharinad

BTW the camera is on sale right now at Walmart for 179 dollars. That is 20 dollars less then everyone else. The downside is that it does uses up batteries fast. I would suggest to get a charger and rechargeable batteries. I use the one from Energizer and it works fine. The camera does not come with a case to store it in. You may want to buy something small at the store. The one from Canon is 50 bucks and I can get a generic one for way less.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by