1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured Earlobe...please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MTMom, Sep 17, 2010.

1. MTMom

MTMom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    I noticed yesterday that one of my girls injured her earlobe. I have no idea exactly how she did it since she is allowed to free range. I'm guessing that perhaps she may have snagged it on a barb of barb wire while going out to the wheat field, but I'm not sure. It's a little less swollen today. Yesterday I applied some topical antibiotic ointment to it with a Q-Tip. Does anyone have any ideas on an injury like this and the best way for me to treat it. She's eating/drinking fine, laying her eggs, etc...and seems like she's feeling perfectly fine. Just want to be preventative and take good care of her. Thank you so much in advance, I REALLY appreciate it!![​IMG]

This picture shows the injured earlobe and also her good earlobe for size comparison.

[​IMG]

2. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    I would just clean it up with a topical disinfectant (peroxide, dilute betadine, chlorhexidene ect), and apply a topical antibiotic cream. It looks relatively minor, and chickens, if otherwise healthy will usually heal up just fine.

3. BirdNut

BirdNut Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2010
    Suprise, Arizona
    I agree that it's a good idea to keep it sanitary, but I would not suggest using peroxide to clean the wound. It stings, and kills both bad bacteria and the good ones. That will actually prevent it from healing. Be sure to watch this girl around the others, they might pick at her. Should this happen, I suggest separating her from the others until she heals up. Applying Neosporin or Polysporin would be good to do ater you've cleaned it.

Wishign you all the best!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by