Injured eye on hen, please help!

MamaPeahen

Chirping
Jun 9, 2018
I just checked on my hens and peafowl, who have been with a friend of mine in their chicken coop, and infuriated to find that one of my hens, Thelma, has a big problem with her eyes. They are both swollen, one much more than the other, and the right eye is almost completely shut, oozing with puss. The other has a small amount of puss too, but I can't even tell if her right eye is functioning anymore. There is now a small rooster in the coop, though it seems he is young and is more being bossed around by the hens in there, and I really don't know what might have happened. I tried cleaning the eye out the best I could, and sprayed some colloidal silver in her eye, but I'm not sure what else to do.
She can't eat like this, always pecking too short of the food since she can't see it well, so I need to find out how to get her better fast. She's an older girl, but I don't wanna see her go yet.
I really appreciate any feedback, thank you!
20190312_172237.jpg

Attachments

• 20190312_171922.jpg
    20190312_171922.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 14
Are your pictures of two different chickens? One looks to have frostbite damage to the comb, while the other still has tips. It looks like she has had some pecking around her eyes, bubbles, and she has some facial swelling. Those can be signs of a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma or coryza. The pecking could have been because she was sick, or possibly that she was pecked and it stressed her to bring on disease symptoms. I cannot see the eye clearly in the second pic. Was she just combined with your friend’s chickens without a period of introduction or quarantine to see if anyone had any symptoms of diseases?
Does she have any bad odor around the face?

Since you don’t know exactly what is going on, I would try to see a vet if possible. Antibiotics such as Tylan 50 injectable can be helpful if this is MG or mycoplasma. If this is coryza, which may have a bad odor, Tylan can be used with sulfa antibiotics (sulfadimethoxine, SMZ-TMP, sulfatrim.) I would clean the eyes twice a day and apply plain Neosporin Ointment or Terramycin Eye Ointment twice daily. You can ask your state vet how to get testing done.

Alright, I got some of the pus out of her eyes, and managed to get her to drink some water. I, unfortunately, can't afford veterinary care at the moment, but I'll look into the antibiotics you mentioned.
I'll try to post updates on her when I can, thank y'all for the help!!!

Also, it's the same hen, @Eggcessive, she just has a floppy comb, which I had moved to stay upright while taking the first picture. It looks like some of the swelling has gone down since I posted the first pictures.

Do you have time to mix up a mash of wet chicken feed with a lot of water, and add some cooked egg to it, and feed her a couple of meals daily? I use a lot of water even when offering a chopped egg to get more fluid into a sick chicken. Are you using the antibiotic ointment in the eyes? Hopefully, she will continue to get better.

I've been feeding her crushed wet chicken mash via syringe, but I haven't gotten the chance to get ointment. I'll try adding egg to the food, but I only get to check on them all once a day. Ty for the recommendation!

Also, it seems her eyes are getting better. Last I checked on her, both were open, and there was less swelling!

Back
Top Bottom