Injured Eye?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittleBoPeep1, Aug 20, 2016.

1. LittleBoPeep1

LittleBoPeep1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    Hello,
    I just went out to my chicken coop and my one year old barred rock hen has an injured eye! Her one eye is watering, squinty, and almost looks a little rolled back into her head but her other eye is completely normal! She is eating, drinking, and acting like her normal self. What caused this? Is there anything that I can do to help her?

Thank you so much:)

2. LittleBoPeep1

Mar 12, 2015
    Help!! Tonight her eye is a lot worse. Her eye is now almost all the way closed and her "tears" are dripping down her face. She laid an egg today, so I think she is pretty healthy still. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She may have been pecked in the eye or has something in it.

Flush the eye with saline so you can get a better look. If it has something in it, hopefully flushing it will take care of it.

If the eye is swollen or develops pus, then you will need to clean it out - flush with saline and remove any pus you see.

You can apply some Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment in the eye.

Some respiratory illnesses present with watery, swollen eyes as well, so keep an eye on her.

4. LittleBoPeep1

Mar 12, 2015
    Thank you so much for your response! This morning, her eye looked better, but not completely fine to me. There was less tearing and her eye was less squinty (about halfway open). She was very perky. Should I leave her alone if she seems to be getting better or should I do the treatment you recommended?
    Thanks again

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If she has something in it, it may come out on it's own. Flushing it may help it along, but you can wait and see what happens.[​IMG]

6. LittleBoPeep1

Mar 12, 2015
    Now that my hen's eye seems fine, she is now having "neck tremors". After she eats her food, her head goes up and her tail goes down and it looks like she is shaking her neck back and forth to get the food down. Our flock recently had canker, and it looks to me like she has a little (I will have to treat that). Is it the canker that is making her do this or something else?

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos of her?

If she has had problems with canker before, then you may want to investigate to see if it has returned. If so, then this may be the cause of the head shaking like she is trying to get food down, she may have a partial blockage in her beak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by