Injured eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aggie2013, Oct 21, 2016.

1. aggie2013

aggie2013 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2016
    [​IMG]

This is my first girl I ever owned. I noticed yesterday that her eye is swelled shut. I was gone for a week on vacation so it must've happened then. There isn't any puss and when I opened it the eye was sunk in and red.

Any ideas?

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    She could have hit it on something in the coop or been pecked in the eye. If there are no other respiratory symptoms you can get some terramycin opthamolic ointment and put it into her eye.

3. aggie2013

Sep 20, 2016
    I haven't seen /heard any symptoms.
    I'm a little concerned because she's always been top hen. Now she seems down and the others are going ahead of her. I don't know if it's because she can't see or she's getting sick.

4. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I would separate her from the flock and begin treating to eye only. If she develops respiratory problems then it would have to become a decision to cull or to treat and possibly infect the entire flock.

I would not worry a lot just yet and treat the eye only, especially if she is the only one with any problems.

5. aggie2013

Sep 20, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Update: this is after her third treatment. She is eating some but her crop isn't nearly as full as normal. She is drinking and spends most of her day sleeping with her head tucked.
    I noticed she might be getting wheezy? It's hard to tell because she only does it when I hold her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by