Injured foot/ancle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BantamLady109, Aug 2, 2014.

1. BantamLady109

BantamLady109 In the Brooder

Jul 1, 2014
    Hello all! I let my 11 week old chicks free range for the first time today. My 8-year old got a little too excited while chasing them, tripped and stepped on one of my roosters feet. He can still move and grasp with his toes but his grasp is a little weak. He pulls his foot up to his body and stands on one leg while standing, but is laying down most of the time. I noticed a small spot of blood (internal bleeding) at the top of one toe near the top of his foot.

Should I bring him to the vet? How do I care for an injured foot/ankle?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Crowing 7 Years

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Can you see any deformity of the foot/ankle?? any broken skin areas?? if not, I would be tempted to leave it alone. A 'wait & see' policy will save you a great deal of $$s at the vets'. If he is still not using the foot well after a couple od days, by all means take him to be checked over, good luck - and welcome! [​IMG]

3. BantamLady109

BantamLady109 In the Brooder

Jul 1, 2014
    Thanks for your response, boskelli1571! No deformity, no broken skin. Just a little black and blue on one toe and swollen ankle. I decided to wait and see. In the mean time, I put him and one cuddle buddy in a dog carrier in the coop with his own food and water, bought some Epsom salts for soaking his foot and some baby aspirin to help with the pain. I am giving him about 1/3 of a chewable 81 mg baby aspirin (I hope that's right, hes about 1 lb to 1 1/2 lb. in weight). I thought that would be hard to do, but he just eats it right out of my hand :0) It is orange flavored....It seems to be helping. He stopped breathing with his mouth open and seems to be a little more comfortable.

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Crowing 7 Years

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Good job! I'm sure he'll do just fine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: