injured foot/ankle

JoMWy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 9, 2012
Indy
I'm sure there are tons of posts on here about foot injuries. I've started looking but no luck yet. One of my mallards has an injured ankle. It's the area right above the flat part of her foot (I'm sorry, my terminology is failing me when I need it most). It is obviously swollen. She just lies down rather than try to walk on it. Any tips, hints, ideas on treatment?

I'm sure there are tons of posts on here about foot injuries. I've started looking but no luck yet. One of my mallards has an injured ankle. It's the area right above the flat part of her foot (I'm sorry, my terminology is failing me when I need it most). It is obviously swollen. She just lies down rather than try to walk on it. Any tips, hints, ideas on treatment?
Have you examined her foot[bottom] for bumble foot first off, it can cause swelling. if foot look good, you might try doing some epsom salt soaks in warm water, [Epsom salt is a laxative so don't let her drink it ]or try using epsom salt compresses. and rest that means letting her have minimal room to run around, like when we sprain an ankle ir pull a muscle rest and soaking is the best for healing, and giving her a buddy while she is resting will help to make her less apt to be depressed. also water therapy where she can relax swim paddle and just enjoy also will help build back muscle. most of all no mating while healing it can cause further trauma.

Personally I just do soaks. Add a bit of ESalts to warm water inside a bowl or other container, stir to dissolve, and then I pick my duck up and dunk the foot. That is how I do it anyway.

do they soak their legs without trying to get away from you? Or do you just keep dunking over and over?

Oh no, mine always try to get away. What I do is grab them around their middles, sort of under the wings. And I dunk them that way. The last time I did a soak, it seemed like the duck was okay with it, but after a few minutes, she started pulling her leg away. So then I gently just held her leg in the water. Luckily my duck healed quickly, so I didn't need to do too many soaks. I probly wouldn't dunk over and over as if dipping it, just because it might stress your duck. Calm quiet slow movements will be best. I hope that helps!

when I do a soak I use a 1 gallon bucket I put 1 cup epsom salt in it add warm water stir to dissovled then I pick up my duck and have them stand in the bucket I don't dunk I just hold on the them so they can't get out I usually leave them stand in the bucket for at least 15min at a time. I have a huge Muscovy drake that I would soak his leg and foot and he actually didn't seem to mind once I got him in the bucket. I always soaked right before putting up for the night. you could even try doing it morn and night. When i say stand I am supporting his weight so his legs are dangling in the bucket.

Thanks. I tried to soak, but it appears I didn't use a big enough bucket. I did some warm wraps but I'm not sure it did anything. I went to the vet. Not broken, not bauble foot (spelling). She said it was swollen and hot and appeared to be an infection of the joint. We have her on meds, which I completely suck at giving. I get more on me than in their mouth. The vet didn't give a lot of directions (she worked us in between patients). Still try to soak? Any other thoughts or ideas?

Just some other info, she (along with 12 others) was born and lived inside for about 2 months. Once they hit the pond, they never wanted to come back in. They come for food and often spend time in my yard, but are free to roam the pond/lake. She's probably pretty anxious being cooped up in a cage.

Thanks. I tried to soak, but it appears I didn't use a big enough bucket. I did some warm wraps but I'm not sure it did anything. I went to the vet. Not broken, not bauble foot (spelling). She said it was swollen and hot and appeared to be an infection of the joint. We have her on meds, which I completely suck at giving. I get more on me than in their mouth. The vet didn't give a lot of directions (she worked us in between patients). Still try to soak? Any other thoughts or ideas?

Just some other info, she (along with 12 others) was born and lived inside for about 2 months. Once they hit the pond, they never wanted to come back in. They come for food and often spend time in my yard, but are free to roam the pond/lake. She's probably pretty anxious being cooped up in a cage.
Sounds like an infection, about the only way to clear it up will be oral or injectable antibiotics, if she likes bread you might try putting the oral onto a small piece of bread and putting it down where your keeping her. other than that. keep up witrh the soaks a one gallon bucket or a dish pan would work.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom