Injured Foot? Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by niccichick, Dec 26, 2014.

1. niccichick

niccichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi;
    My sweet Buff Orpington, Angel, has a really hard, hot, swollen right foot.I don't think it's Bumblefoot, I cannot find a dark spot or scab anywhere. It looks almost like 3 pus filled abcesses. She cannot walk on it and acts as if it's painful. I soaked her in warm epsom salt water last 2 nights and cleaned it really well and then put antibiotic cream on it and wrapped it. Hasn't improved at all. Anyone know what this could be and how I can help her. I love her and don't want her to get worse, but cannot afford a vet, so need to be able to care for her myself. Any wisdom would be so appreciated.

Below are pics of her foot.

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I would keep soaking her foot in an epsom salt bath for the time being. You may want to use some antibiotic...hopefully someone with more knowledge of those will chime in.

How far up are your roost bars?

Is there a way you could heat up a needle and "pop" those areas? Then put some antibiotic ointment without pain reliever on it and wrap it good.

3. niccichick

niccichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Okay, so it's been a couple of days now since isolating Angel in the garage in her own cage to heal. I soaked her feet and cleaned them really well and covered them with neosporin, also picked up some antibiotic powder which I coated cut up grapes in and fed a little bit to her in case this was a system-wide infection. Her foot really swelled up the first morning afterwards, she could no longer even put weight on it. My Dad and I soaked her feet again in hot epsom salt water for 20 minutes and lanced the pus filled blister with a sterile needle. We got so much white, thick pus out! Literally almost a full Tablespoon! We then put hydrogen peroxide on it and slathered it again with neosporin and wrapped it in the self-stick vet tape with a cotton pad to protect it.

Tonight we removed the packing and tape and it looked way better. We again soaked it and drained it. There was so much dead skin at this point that we trimmed it away and it revealed two holes in the bottom of her foot! Literal holes. We squeezed out a lot of blobby grayish, blood streaked pus until we could get no more for fear of hurting her. We used hydrogen peroxide again and packed it with neosporin and again wrapped it in tape as well. She never fought us, in fact looked relaxed and relieved as we helped her out.

My concern is that there might be something in those holes. Is this was spider bites look like? Or could there possibly be some sort of parasitic worm in her foot. We keep our coop really clean and never have any bug problems and the girls never are in standing poopy water ever. So, I'm puzzled. She's my only girl with any type of injury. Checked every other bird and they all have completely healthy feet, eyes, combs, etc. Angel gobbles food I feed her as we work on her, not lethargic at all. I am concerned that something is starting on her other foot. I've included pics of her other foot because it looks like white pockets are forming on her toes on the her foot now. We tried lancing the larger one seen in the picture below and it was hard and nothing came out at all.

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

Blessings,
    NIcci Chick

[​IMG]

Theses are the two holes we found when we trimmed away the dead skin after draining the area.
    Yikes!
    [​IMG]

This is her other foot and what looks like a pocket of buildup starting here as well. Hard to the touch and not drainable after soaking at all.

[​IMG]
    See how it looks like a swollen area is building up on the middle toe now on this foot.

[​IMG]

I can also see what looks like small white bubbles of build up along sides and tops of toes. None of them are soft to the touch and none of them are drainable; totally hard to the touch even after a 20 minutes soak in not epsom salt water.

4. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    One of my hens was getting splinters from a wooden ladder. Look around their area really well for rough wood. Also check the rest of the flock. You are doing really well! She will always remember you made her feel better, I bet. :)

Ps edit: I think the holes are caused by the infection, which is why they often go deeper than an original injury. Someone correct me if I am wrong, though...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by