1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured Foot- Infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Solsken Farm, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my chicks somehow got her toenail ripped out. She is walking, but often lifts up her foot. I am noticing her skin is bright red. What should I do? I am thinking an infection is setting in. I used betadine to cleanse the wound, used bacatracin and wrapped the toe to keep out foreign matter. I have her inside with another chick in clean bedding at night and have her in a small pen on the grass away from dirt during the day.

I do not know where to get an oral antibiotic or an injectable one, for that matter.

Suggestions? Thanks.

ps (I stink at searching. I suspect there are dozens of threads on this subject but could not find one.)[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2008
  2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Keep an eye on it, is it getting worse? Probably hurts so that is why leg lifting. Maybe wash it again? How do you keep the wrap on? Thats amazing, mine always pull stuff of immediately!! Some feed stores have antibiotics. good luck, hope someone has an answer for you!!

3. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

We were on vacation for 8 days and just returned late Sunday night. So I have no idea how long this has been occuring. She seems fine, other than picking her foot up. Her red skin is what is concerning me. The skin around her eyes is very red. Is that stress?

I used a bandaid and then covered it with tape. I just did the toe. She is a 2 month old banty, so a very petite girl. We'll see how long it stays on. [​IMG]

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2008
  4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Wow. Is it possible to post picture of red skin and maybe some one might know? Its hard to say, not knowing what happened to her to get her toenail ripped out. Maybe she was caught in something for awhile and that did cause stress and make her turn red, but [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by