Injured foot/leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickfeathers, Oct 16, 2015.

1. chickfeathers

chickfeathers New Egg

Oct 16, 2015
    I have a brown leghorn who I just noticed this morning is walking with a severe limp. She kind of just hops around without putting any weight on one of her feet. I already checked for bumble foot, and it doesn't look like that.
    She does often try to jump up in the trees in the chicken yard, and get up on the run fence. I suspect she sprained/twisted it jumping or falling.
    Is there anything I can do for her? or do I just have to let it heal?
    Thank you!

2. fogandcopper

fogandcopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2013
    It could just be a sprained ankle or hip or a dislocated hip. Either way the best thing s to make sure she eats and drinks enough and let her do it's thing.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I would pen her up inside the coop in a cage with food and water, and give her poultry vitamins with minerals for 1-2 weeks. Evaluate how she is walking after that, and cage her for more time if needed. High roosts and flying up to fences and trees can cause sprains easily. If you notice any bruising or swelling, there might be a need for a splint.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by