Injured foot, limping chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OldeTownPeeps, Oct 27, 2017.

1. OldeTownPeeps

OldeTownPeeps In the Brooder

Oct 23, 2016
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I went out to check on my 3 girls this morning and noticed my Barred Rock was limping. She didn't want to walk much and wouldn't put any weight on her foot. There is nothing visibly wrong with her foot that my husband or I could see. She is only about 16 months old. I set her up with some fresh hay in a dog crate within the run so she'd have some peace from the others. She wasn't interested in feed, seed or water but when she saw me giving the other two zucchini and rice, she got excited. We gave her some too and she ate. A few hours later I came home from work to check on her. She is just resting in a sunny patch. I offered her some watery Greek yogurt and she drank a little (she usually devours it). I'm thinking she just jumped down from a perch and landed weird or maybe fell and hurt her foot/leg. Three hens sleep crowded on one window sill (their choice). Maybe she was pushed off during the night? Is their a pain reliever I can offer her? What can I do if it's sprained or strained? I figure I'll give it some time and then take her to the vet. But honestly, what can they do? X-ray?

2. mesafox101

mesafox101 Chirping

Aug 30, 2017
    is it bent weird if so take her to the vet if not give her a day or two and she will probably get better

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @OldeTownPeeps :frow Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your hen.

When was the last time she laid an egg?

Hopefully it's just a sprain - placing her in the dog crate was a great idea. Sprains can take several days or even weeks to heal depending on the severity.

What's more concerning is that she is not interested in eating/drinking. Limping can accompany other conditions, so give her a going over - check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight, look for any lice/mites and feel her abdomen for any swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid.

Do the best you can to keep her drinking. If you have poultry vitamins that contains B2 (Riboflavin) offer those in her water or in a little wet mash. Getting her hydrated is most important, then offer food. You may be able to entice her with some chopped egg or tuna.

Keep us posted.

micstrachan and Hen Pen Jem like this.
  4. OldeTownPeeps

Oct 23, 2016
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Thanks for your reply. She is not doing well. Her crop IS full and she will not stand up. I used a syringe to put a little vegetable oil in her throat. Then I tried massaging her crop. She hasn't p**ped all day. Of course, the only vet that cares for hens is closed for the weekend. I brought her inside and I'm praying for the best. She is the sweetest hen. I'm continuing to offer water. Basically dipping her beak so she'll drink a little. So sad.

5. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    Assuming it is a sprain, which is common, I treat as I do for people. Remember the R.I.C.E. acronym? Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation...well, anatomy dictates modifying the treatment for chickens.

You have the Rest part down, next is Ice, but that won't do for a chicken. So, I rub the leg with an Arnica herbal cream for sprains and bruises, instead. Next, is Compression...after the cream, I will wrap the feet to the ankle with self stick gauze. If it is an upper leg twist, gently massage starting at the top of the thigh and going down to the ankle with your index and thumb. Just forget about Elevation, not gonna work for a chicken injury, unless you put them into a sling.

I have had success just doing the first three therapies.

If the chicken seems to be in a lot of pain, a 5-10 minute soak in a warm Epsom Salt bath, helps. Then, finish off with a gentle massage with Arnica cream.

I just finished doing this for my Game Hen, she occasionally suffers from pain due to an old injury. She responds in 24 hours, especially with the Epsom Salt soak. If it is cold where you are, you'll need to blow dry the belly feathers.

If you take her to the vet, do the X-ray, it will show a break, if any. The vet will then advise.

God Bless!:)

6. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    Oh no, just read your recent post!

Crop impaction, you must get that crop emptied. Do you have a farm/feed store near you? They may have some lactalose to help get things going.

If not, oil and massage, gentle but firmly, otherwise she may not last till Monday if that crop doesn't empty. If it is empty by tomorrow morning, give only moist soft food.

God Bless, I will pray for her too!

micstrachan likes this.
  7. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    In desperation you could try making a Lactulose substitute with a teaspoon of sweetened condensed milk and a teaspoon of warm water. Then give, 1 mL with syringe orally every 12 hours, massage, and hope the lactose and sugars get things going.
    If nothing else it will give some energy to the hen.
    This is all I can come up with, hope it helps...:(:fl

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    :hugs:hugs
    Is the crop hard, boggy, feels like water in it, etc.?

Not pooping is not good. When was the last time she laid an egg and does her abdomen feel bloated/full or fluid filled.

The reason I'm asking is not pooping and crop issues, there is a blockage somewhere. One common cause is internal laying/reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors. The limping could also be from one of these.

Seeing if you can get things moving is a good idea - it's hard to know which direction to take - a laxative like a little bit of molasses added to the water may get her going.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

micstrachan likes this.
  9. OldeTownPeeps

Oct 23, 2016
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Thank you for all of your thoughtful posts. She is resting and seems to be comfortable. She is in my bedroom for the night. I've been massaging her periodically and she is looking a little better. I'm calling the vet first thing in the morning and hoping the chicken vet works tmrw. If not, I'll head to TSC and see what remedies are available over the counter.

As for the egg laying, she is just coming off a molt so it's been a little while since she laid an egg. I've had her on the "Feather Fixer" feed to supplement her other feed. Poor thing. She's such a good girl. Hoping she is better soon.

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad she is resting comfortably and is looking a little better.

I hope you are able to see the vet, please keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: