Injured foot on a chicken from a dog attack

bosheep

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 2, 2011
Portland Oregon
Our terrier got into the chicken yard and grabbed a 20 week old pullet. She was fine except for a foot that seems to be injured. There were no tears or blood but now two days later she hops around and holds the foot up. My husband picked her up and said she seems to have no broken bones but she sure does not put weight on it. Today she seems to hold it up as if it isn't even there so that it hangs down. Should it be splinted? We thought that after a couple of days she would walk on it. Ideas? Thanks!

I would suspect it is just a sprain, but I would feel the length of the leg bones in case of a fracture. She mayneed to be confined in a crate inside the coop and run with the other birds for company. Give hersome vitamins for poultry in her water and keep her confined for a week, and then check on her walking and getting around. There are many good sites if you Google splinting a chicken bone if you have a break. If she stands and walks on it, it probably isn't broken.

I hadachicken recently hold her injured leg up, hopping on one leg for over a month, and it was hust a sprain, so itmay take a bit of time to heal.

Back
Top Bottom