1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured foot/toe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vickichicki, Nov 24, 2012.

1. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Would like some feedback on my injured chicken.

I went out to feed my girlies and discovered one perched on top of the feeder with her leg curled up.
    As soon as I came in she put the foot down and all the others started pecking at her foot.

I see a cut on the toe by above the toenail. The toenail is still in place and secured. Unsure of exactly what has happened but there is definite evidence of pecking of the injury.

I have put her in a separate cage, cleaned the cut and applied liquid bandage.

Will I have to wait until full coverage of the injury before she goes back with the rest?
    Also, will she peck her own injury? Will I have to fashion a collar for her foot to prevent further issues?

Any suggestions on some follow up would be appreciated.

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I would wrap it in a bit of vet wrap with some plain neosporin on a piece of gauze and put her back with the others. They adjust to the wrap pretty quicklyand it keeps others from pecking it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by