1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured foot UPDATE...Infected

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by klyn, Sep 4, 2014.

1. klyn

klyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014
    My 6 month old easter egger has an injured foot! She will not put any weight on it and was hopping around the coop/run on one foot. Eventually she just sat on the ground and refused to move at all.

When I got her out this is what I saw...

[​IMG]

The yellowish part of her foot is a flap of skin that is attached only on one side. It is obvious that it is causing her a lot of pain but there is no blood. I cleaned her foot and put neosporin on the injury. To keep it clean I wrapped it in a small, soft bandage.

Have I done the right things? Are there other things that I should do for her? Can I put her back with my other birds or should I keep her separate? Will having it bandaged encourage pecking from the rest of the flock? Any help you can give would be so appreciated. Thank you!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Watch her closely and make sure she gets water and food. I think pecking at a bandage is a strong possibility, so make sure it is something large enough they won't try to eat it if they get it off if you don't have to separate. I would separate her if she is won't stand at all, cannot access coop or roosts, or if others peck her. And give her TLC til she can get around.

3. klyn

May 2, 2014
    Thank you! I'm new to all of this and want to make sure I'm doing what I need to to keep my girls healthy>

4. klyn

May 2, 2014
    Just an update on Chickadee... she is no better and still won't put any weight on her foot. She mostly sits on the run floor and will hop on one foot to get to the food or water. She doesn't seem to be any worse though. I am not sure how long to expect her injury to take to heal. I was hoping to see some improvement since its been 3 days. Anything else I can do or that I should be watching for?

5. farm-a-zootical

farm-a-zootical Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    Can you give her some aspirin to ease the pain while she is in chicken hospital? How about electrolytes? I'm just trying to think of things that may help her feel a little better

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    3 days and not a lot better. Looks like the cut was deeper than hoped, may have gotten tendon to the toe or she could have a fracture at the wound site? I would watch the foot/toe and make sure no infection. If the toe gets worse, try to consult a vet tomorrow. If like me, no local vets who treat chickens, call your extension office. Ours has helped with questions and put our problem in touch with UGA Poultry vets for advice.

7. klyn

May 2, 2014
    Do I have to be careful about how much aspirin I give her?

8. klyn

May 2, 2014
    When I changed her bandage today I got a good look the injury (it is near the front of her "ankle"). It doesn't look too deep and isn't infected. She is miserable though. Great suggestion about calling the extension office. I'll be in the phone with them in the morning.

9. klyn

May 2, 2014
    I will try to get some more pictures of her injury in the morning and post them. Maybe someone else will see something I am missing.

10. farm-a-zootical

farm-a-zootical Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    yes. baby aspirin twice a day. no Tylenol or motrin, etc. or, if you have Bayer aspirin divide it up to 81mg. it helped my chicken with a sprain. not as bad as your chickie, but it helped

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by