Injured foot UPDATE...Infected

Updated pics. Am I missing anything?

Is she flexing her toes? curling or uncurling at will? Am asking in case someone knowledgeable sees your post. Distressing, I know. Hopefully a pro will respond. You can also give her infant poly-vi-sol vitamins without iron to give her a boost.

Is she going on and off the roost at night?

With a sore foot, you might want to give her a low, soft area to herself...like a crate bedded down deeply with hay/straw, or even just several soft towels.

I am certainly no expert, and my general rule of thumb is that if the problem isn't gone or improving in 24 hours, I call my vet (though recognize I am lucky to have access to an avian vet). Hope she improves!

She struggles getting on the roost. She made it last night but only after a few misses and not very graceful landings. I will work on setting something lower and soft up for her. Thanks for the advice.

Is she flexing her toes?  curling or uncurling at will?  Am asking in case someone knowledgeable sees your post.   Distressing, I know.  Hopefully a pro will respond.  You can also give her infant poly-vi-sol vitamins without iron to give her a boost.
Where can I get those vitamins? Her mobility seems ok in that foot. Obviously she is choosing not to move it much but she can curl and uncurl it some. Thanks again!

We get ours at WalMart. They have several options, but it has to be with no iron added. I am encouraged that she has some movement.

Last edited:
Where can I get those vitamins? Her mobility seems ok in that foot. Obviously she is choosing not to move it much but she can curl and uncurl it some. Thanks again!

Do you have a feed store (i.e., Tractor Supply, Agway, etc.) near you? I get these little packets of "Sav-A-Chick" at my feed store, but looks like you can order cheaply on Amazon too. You mix it in some water, my husband calls it making "Chicken Gatorade" because it turns bright orange when you mix it with water. It's handy to have around for when one's feeling under the weather and needs a boost, or just on a hot day when they're dragging a little. If I have to put one in a sick cage, I usually add this to their water.

Looks like cut is at the base of "thumb" or whatever the back toe is called. If she can curl/uncurl then tendons still at least somewhat intact. Doesn't look infected and that's a good thing.

Did you get to talk with the extension office? If they have poultry vet connection then they may let you email your issue and photos to pass along to the experts. Last year I was worried about lice/mites, and my extension agent helped me get an email consult. Was a great help.

You can also try direct contact to a vet school. In Ga, many folks I know have called and received help from their vet school. You may be invited to email photo and description to the poultry experts?

In the meantime, it does look like you are giving her great care. If were a simple sprain would be over it, but a cut is different and likely will take time to heal.

In the updated photo the toe itself looks viable, thank goodness.

Please keep us posted on how she's doing. Wish we could help more.

Despite my best efforts, Chickadee's leg has become infected.
sad.png
Obviously, I am very concerned. Although the wound itself looks clear, her leg above the injury is hot and swollen. I have been in contact with my local extension office and on their recommendation have changed the antiseptic that I am using to tincture of iodine. I have started her on oxytetracycline and am hoping to see improvement quickly. She has been separated from the rest of the flock in order to keep the other girls from getting to her water with the antibiotic. She is also taking baby asprin to help with pain.

Last edited:
I will try and get some updated pictures but that may be hard as she is getting more difficult to handle as she gets more uncomfortable. She is eating and drinking better now that she is away from the rest of the flock. Also, roosting at night has become impossible for her. She has chosen a soft, warm corner on the coop floor to make her bed.

Back
Top Bottom