Injured foot

Chickendoodle352

Chirping
Mar 29, 2021
I came home to find one of my 8 week old leghorns alternating between standing on one foot and laying down. When she moves she has an obvious limp. I examined her foot and leg and saw nothing. I’m new to raising chickens. Do they tend to injure themselves and does it heal on its own? I have learned that none of our vets (even livestock vets) see chickens. Ideas? Suggestions?

She may have landed in it funny from jumping off the roost.
I would put her in a dog crate within the coop with her own food and water to minimize her movement and allow her to heal her leg.

Injuries are very common. Is she holding that injured leg up or trying to walking on it? Is there any swelling, redness, cuts, or green bruising along the foot or entire leg? Look for a scab on the footpad as well. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Do you have older chickens?

Injuries are very common. Is she holding that injured leg up or trying to walking on it? Is there any swelling, redness, cuts, or green bruising along the foot or entire leg? Look for a scab on the footpad as well. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Do you have older chickens?
She is both trying to walk on it and holding it up (alternating). She seems better today actually so fingers crossed. No to all other questions. We bought her at TSC so I don’t think they vaccinate. We fed medicated feed for 4 weeks. We live in a very small town and I don’t really know how/ where to get them vaccinated. All 8 of my chicks are the same age.

Back
Top Bottom