1. FeatheredFriends2018

FeatheredFriends2018 Chirping

Dec 27, 2018
    Hi, it seems that injury’s have brought me here twice now ☹️
    I have a little modern game hen, she somehow managed to find her way into my neighbours garden today and his dog had been carrying her around. Luckily she’s quite soft mouthed, however, she seems to have hurt her foot. She’s seems to be curling her toes under and somehow hobbling on the top of her foot/ankle.
    I don’t no what to do, my husband says she might have sprained it trying to get away from the dog or perhaps the dogs caught a nerve? She’s eating, drinking and her usual chirpy self. I just don’t want her to suffer.

2. FeatheredFriends2018

Dec 27, 2018
    8FE7558D-25A8-4751-A0C4-2920224DC814.jpeg

3. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    Greetings FeatheredFriends2018,

Injuries from canines can be hidden under the hen's feathers. You will have to examine her every day to make sure there are no puncture wounds. If you miss a puncture wound, infection can go unnoticed and can be fatal. Look under her wings, lift up the neck feathers, examine her vent area and around the tail. Feel for lumps, swellings, smell for foul odors/infection. If you find a puncture wound, trim the feathers around it, then, flush it with a saline solution, or clorhexidine. Spray it with some Vetericyn 2-3 times a day till it heals.

I would also address the leg/foot injury. She may have an injury higher up on the thigh, if the dog grabbed her from the side and she tried to escape. There could be some damage to a tendon or a sprain from twisting. Without an x-ray, it's hard to know. I don't think it's broken, the bird would be unable to even limp.

She may have a bad sprain. This has happened to a couple of my birds. Here are some treatment options.

The Chicken sling:
    Placing the hen in a chicken sling for a few days, may allow the leg to heal faster by preventing the chicken from using the leg.
    chicken sling.jpg chicken sling pvc.jpg
    chicken sling quick.jpg Quick Sling

Compression wrap:
    • First apply some 'Arnica cream' to the leg, massage gently. (Optional)

• Apply a compression wrap.
    1. First, wrap the leg in a soft fabric (you can cut a piece of old soft sock or use
    gauze)
    2. Wrap with self stick vet wrap (take care not to wrap tightly, you don't want
    to restrict blood flow
    ). The wrap should be snug, but not tight. The chicken
    should be able to bend the leg and sit.
    3. Wrap her foot to the toes, if you can. Cut the vet wrap into thinner strips. This will also stabilize her foot.
    3. Administer a vitamin supplement with iron, for three to five days.

The Arnica cream will reduce pain, and speed healing of the injured tissue. The compression wrap will support and protect the leg tendons, and muscle, during healing. A vitamin supplement, like Pet-Tinic, will boost the immune system. You can also giver her some Nutri Drench, if you can't get a supplement with iron.

Check the leg daily, is she walking on the injured leg? Look at the color, is it blue? If it is blue, the vet wrap is constricting blood flow, the wrap is too tight! Remove the wrap. Change the wrap every other day. Once the chicken is not limping, the wrap is no longer needed.

Administer an anti-inflammatory: like aspirin. Dosage is 40 mg. 2-3 times a day. Use a low dose aspirin of 81 mg., then cut it in half. (Never give aspirin if there is a bleeding wound.)
    Carprofen is another pain reliever, dosage is 12 mg. tablet form. I give, half of a 25 mg. tablet, which is 12.5 mg, just twice a day.

My chickens, usually stop limping after 3 days, but your hen may need more time.
    A severe sprain can take about two weeks to heal, longer without treatment. Without treatment, the chicken can but not always, become permanently lame in that leg.

She cannot jump, up or down, from perches,so she should sleep in a dog crate in the coop. Or, she will make the injury worse.

Taking the hen to see a vet is the best thing to do. But, if that isn't an option the members here on BYC, will do their best to guide you.

These are my thoughts on your chicken's issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :(

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  4. FeatheredFriends2018

Dec 27, 2018
    Thank you so much for your reply. I’ve got her in an indoor cage now so she can’t move far,
    She’s trying to get about and she did jump in and out of a different box this morning which is why I’ve moved her.
    I’ll have a good check over her now and check that I’ve not missed something.
    I just hope that it’s nothing serious.
    I will contact my vet Monday morning

Hen Pen Jem likes this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would splint her foot with a shoe with her foot and toes in a normal position. The chicken sling would be good to make as well. I would also give her some human vitamin B complex daily—1/4 tablet crushed over some feed daily. Here is a good link on splinting and look at page 23 for a shoe splint:
    https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Here is a good link with pictures of homemade chicken slings:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

upload_2019-1-12_18-18-57.jpeg

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    upload_2019-1-12_18-32-20.jpeg
    You can make some chicken shoes with layers of tape on both sides placing the toes in a normal position. I think that HenPenJem also may have pics of some chicken boots that she uses.

Hen Pen Jem likes this.
  7. FeatheredFriends2018

Dec 27, 2018
    Amazing, thanks guys, I’ll definitely try that
    I’ll try anything

Eggcessive likes this.
  8. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    Eggcessive likes this.
  9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Not my picture. It is from the internet.

10. Hen Pen Jem

Hen Pen Jem Crowing

Sep 19, 2017
    Southern California
    Good research, and useful illustration! :goodpost:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: