Injured Girl, Look at Pics----What's going on? Ameracauna experts

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by winekntrychicks, Dec 11, 2008.

1. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Hi all, Found this today. I believe that I have feather picking going on. I noticed the missing feathers a few weeks ago. All looked okay, just looked like she had been plucked. No redness, no injury to skin. Now the feathers are growing in. Are they ingrown??? See the purple (blood I assume) at the base of the feather? This area in just below the vent.
    [​IMG]

Okay that's one issue. Now here is the other issue. Could this be from the Rooster doing his rooster thing, or has she been pecked?? The picture doesn't show it very well, but under the skin where the feather is regrowing it looks green. See the shiny blood spot? That is a hole in the skin. It was fresh this morning with fresh blood and clear liquid. I put her in her own space after I put bag balm on it. This area is just below the tail, to the left, under the tip of her wing.
    [​IMG]

I also noticed she has broken feathers above her tail on the saddle area.
    Is she too young to have molted? She is 7 mo old. Has been laying since 5 months old.
    I have another Ameracauna who is showing the same missing feather patterns, with out any injury to skin.

I have 6 standards: 2 RIR, 1 BPR, 1 Cochin, 2 EE's/Ameracauna, and one Bantam roo. In an 8x8 coop, 8x18 foot run and get to pasture in the afternoon. Please share your thoughts.

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

That is new feathers growing in. The dark at the base of the shaft is normal. The blood spots and raw skin is not a good thing. Looks like another may have been pecking at it. If that is the case then you need to single out who is doing it. Once they get the taste of blood, you usually cannot break them of it. Original cause of it could be a number of things. Some of our hens have pulled their own feathers after they started to lay but then they grow back. Could have been a bug problem. But from the looks of the raw bloody spots I would venture to guess that you have a feather picker. Probably one of the other hens. If you have time, take the injured one back into the pen and turn it loose. If you have a feather pecker then it should go after it right away, especially since there is the blood. Mark the picker some way and then remove the injured hen back to it's healing place until nearly fully healed. Now watch the one that did the pecking. You can try to isolate it for a week or so or if it continues to peck you may need to cull it.

3. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with the new feathers growing in but as to the discolored area I'd use neosprin ointment and maybe blue kote would stop the pecking? If skin is trying to heal, there is a certain stage where it is better to leave to air. Some creams just cover over germs and give them a place to grow. Warm soapy water and rinse is also good for wound healing.

4. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Thanks for the advice. I raked some leaves into the run, they seemed to be occupied with that for the moment. I think I found out who it is. I watched her peck at three other chicken butts this morning. I have a couple of "remedies" to try. If that doesn't work I'm thinking of letting her take a long walk in the pasture. We have a lot of natural predators. I am not capable of culling her my self. She is a stunning RIR and I am so disappointed. If I give her away I am just passing along my problem. All Feedback appreciated. Thanks, [​IMG]

5. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Hang a couple of heads of cabbage in the coop/run. After they get a taste of it raise it just out of reach so they have to slightly jump for it. Will keep them busy for hours on end.

6. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:Thanks, I will do that. I've dangled grapes over their heads before. It's funny to watch them jump for it....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by