1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured Goose Foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mothergoose08, Nov 13, 2014.

1. mothergoose08

mothergoose08 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2014
    I think a hawk tried to get my chickens. We have a net over top to prevent predators from getting them. There was blood on my chickens and their chicken run. The chickens seem fine and do not appear hurt. I have two geese that are companion pets/guards. My gander was sitting down with his left foot off the ground and close to him. He got up and limped but won't put his foot down when standing. I think his leg muscle is only pulled. It is my first time having geese and I don't know what to do. I don't know if I should wrap his foot or how to wrap it.

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I haven't had geese, but I have had ducks. (and currently have ducks)

Anyway, when they hurt a foot (which has happened once or twice), I just watch it. I make sure that they can make it to the food and water and to the shelter.

As long as it looks like there is improvement every day, then I leave it be.

If it looks very bad, then I catch the duck and look it over, see if there is a wound that must be cleaned out etc.

other than that, I leave it be.

In your case, I would try to watch the flock for an hour or two some day, and see if they look like there is any problem between the geese and the chickens??????

A hawk, if it had gotten in, would have made a hole through the net.....

Anyway, it would be nice if you could figure out what caused all of the blood.

I have had a duck rip off a toe nail (it got caught in some hardware cloth) AMAZING how much blood was all over (he was sore for a few days, but I still have him, he recovered perfectly)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by