Injured Goose Help!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by GooseyMcGee, Apr 4, 2012.

1. GooseyMcGee

GooseyMcGee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    San Diego
    My goose has been injured. She has been laying so it probably happened when she waiting for the egg to come out. I noticed she didn't come across the pond to eat. I went to check on here and she had some dried blood under her wing and she's limping. It seems like it happened two days ago.

Should I do anything? Maybe take her inside an rinse out the wounds? Her mate won't be happy.

or should I not disturb her and let her rest?

2. igotgoosed

igotgoosed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    North Texas
    I would rinse her wound and check the extent of it. Birds have really thin skin and are wounded easily. My geese have had flesh wounds here and there and will limp around for a few days while it heals. But I would definitely make sure it is not too extensive or deep, or else she will need it flushed daily and probably antibiotics for infection. Another concern with the rising temperatures is maggots. Flies will be attracted to the wound and can lay eggs in it, which is why twice a day flushing is good. Not to mention the water therapy stimulates regrowth of the skin cells and helps heal faster. Good luck! I'm sure she will be fine.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Clean, assess the damage, apply neosporin withOUT pain reliever and cover if needed and wrap. You will need to clean and re-apply the neosporin until she is healed.

4. GooseyMcGee

GooseyMcGee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    San Diego
    Okay thanks everyone. I will clean her up if I can get her.

I found out what happened. She got caught up in fishing line.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by