Injured goose lost water resistance?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Queenofgoats18, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Queenofgoats18

Queenofgoats18 In the Brooder

Jan 13, 2019
    Delaware
    Hello all, I have a pilgrim goose who was taken away by a predator about three weeks ago. He some how miraculously survived, and we found him in the woods still alive and nursed him back to health. He had large holes in his chest and injured his neck.
    Health wise he’s doing just fine now, but I put him in our goat pen and he bathed in their water trough while I was in the house. When I went out there I found him in the barn soaking wet, his feathers were all frozen and he was shivering(due to the fact that it was around 30° outside). I had to take him to the garage and bathe him in warm water and then blow dry him. This has happened once before after his injury(in warmer temperatures), but never before his injury. I’m not sure if it’s because he’s “lost” or “shed” his down since he’s been living in a warm garage dew to his injuries, or for some other reason. I’m relatively new to geese so any help would be much appreciated:) Does anyone have knowledge to share about this?

Isabella

sourland likes this.
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    In his recovery and weakened condition he may not have been preening and oiling his feathers - also there is the outside possibility that his preen gland may have been injured. He will need 'monitored' bath time and very short baths until spring or warmer weather.

Queenofgoats18 likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. Queenofgoats18

Queenofgoats18 In the Brooder

Jan 13, 2019
    Delaware
    Thanks everyone! Very helpful:) It doesn’t appear to be his preening gland. The injuries are all on his chest.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    But maybe he is too sore from the chest injury to preen. Just trying to be a detective, LOL.

Queenofgoats18 and Anaray like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: