Injured hatchling.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jameberlin, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Jameberlin

Jameberlin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just got in my first order of chicks from Ideal, 12 pullets and a few "peanuts". One of the pullets seems to be really injured and generally not doing well. She has one foot that curls under and her other leg just shoots straight forward, also her right side is kind of paralyzed i guess... Her wing droops and she's not walking, eating or drinking. She's also got sores on both of her ankles, i guess from laying that way for so long? I really don't think she's going to make it, but i'd like to know if anybody has any insight as to whether or not this is a developmental or hatching injury (which i think it is) or one due to shipping. I'll try to post pics as soon as i can, if that will help.

Anyway, any help is really appreciated. Thanks!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited to include pics.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Sadly, the kindest thing would be to cull her.

3. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    That's so sad! One of the moderators had a thread a bit back about using a band-aid sticky side up and put their feet down to uncurl the toes and keep legs together and using baby vitamins to give strength. Poly-vi-sol i believe it's called.

4. Jameberlin

Jameberlin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Quote:I didn't really think there was going to be anything i could do to save her, but i thought it was worth a shot.

5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Even so I would call Ideal as IM sure she was that way when they shipped her. They say they gaurantee there chicks safe arrival.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by