1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured Hen - advice?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hoffmanmama, Oct 18, 2013.

1. hoffmanmama

hoffmanmama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    Central North Carolina
    Hi Everyone!

I have had chickens most of my life with the exception of a short stent of apartment living while in college. So when my husband and I bought a home with acreage last year, I knew I was ready to have them again! I scoured the internet with dreams of dark brown eggs, feathered legs or the green sheen of an australorp. But when my husband came home and told me one of his coworkers had heard we wanted chickens and was beginning him to come get his (for free) we decided we would go for it. We now have a not so beautiful flock of nine - an australorp in full molt (if I can get a good picture of her backside, she will be entering the contest) two Dominique's, two red sex links, an Orpington, two 'amber whites' (which is not a breed I am familiar with) and a really lovely well mannered Americana rooster.

The problem... The entire flock is a little worse for wear, but one of our amber white girls came to us with a pretty sever flesh injury on the back if the neck. She is molting, so I imagine that it started a bald patch that got damaged when the rooster mounted her. From there I think the whole flock has been pecking at it. When she came to us it was about the diameter of a Ping pong ball and the skin is completely gone with some mild muscle damage. I seperated her immediately and after giving her a day to settle in (they were pretty stressed from the transport), cleaned it really well with diluted peroxide and have been applying neosporin twice a day. She has a very healthy appetite (I have been giving her the special treatment, meal worms, yogurt, basically whatever she wants...) and I have been letting her free range a few hours a day. She seems very vibrant and does not have any range of motion limitations. She also has an excellent personality. She follows me around and is very gentle when we are treating her.

It does seem to be better, my questions is: will it heal? With NO skin to cover the injury, what will happen? I don't want her to be isolated from the flock forever, but I don't want to let them make it worse right now. I'm definitely going to give it a good try, but if it seems like a chronic open wound I would rather just put her out of her misery.

I will try and get a good picture of it tonight. Is there anything else you can think of to treat it with? I have put a good coat of blu kote on it as well and I am leaving it open to air.

Thanks everyone!

2. hoffmanmama

Oct 5, 2013
    Central North Carolina
    Oops, sorry everyone! While I am a new member, I didn't realize I was posting in the new member intro area!

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I'm sorry to hear about your hen. One of my hens got scalped by a predator once and I applied some antibiotic cream to the area and left it open. It took quite awhile to heal completely, but it healed and the feathers even grew back over most of the area, though she had a bit of a bald spot still. Keep up with the treatments and give her a bit more time. Good luck!

4. hoffmanmama

Oct 5, 2013
    Central North Carolina
    Thanks, that's encouraging!

5. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

they might have mites, blue coat is a wound dressing, you can spray on there wound, get it at tractor supply.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] In the "everything else for sale," part of the buy,sell,trade section - you can find people that make & sell hen aprons. They are mainly to protect overbred hens from the roosters spurs but, also good to help wounds heal. With the apron on she may be able to mingle with the flock now. One thing to mention about open wounds is to be sure flies don't lay eggs in it, the resulting maggots can cause death if they go unseen. Chickens seems to have great recuperative powers - there are pictures and stories of birds that recovered from horrific wounds on BYC- please give her a chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by