1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured hen.....Amoxicillan?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kryptoniteqhs, Dec 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Is Amoxicillan ok to give to an injured hen to prevent infection?? Im getting if from my dog/cat vet....I asked him if there was anyway it could hurt here and he said no

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i'd go with what my vet said...good luck!

3. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    thanks! hes a dog and cat vet and doesnt treat chickens....soooo [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sure, use as directed, and be sure to finish the course. Best of luck with the little girl.

5. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    thank you!!

6. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    ok and now to tell you what happened...at first i didnt have time i was trying to fix her up....My Dellie hen just disappered yesterday. I spent 2 and a half hours looking for her in the pitch black last night only to spot what we think is a Bobcat. I thought she had been eaten. A little girl told me she spotted her this morning--only after I asked. I didnt completely believe her, but gave her my phone number anyways and told her to call me if she saw her and to catch her and keep her in a safe place till I got there. I left my barn and went home, I wasnt even home 15minutes when her mom called and said we have a white chicken and she looks to have been shot and is bleeding and still alive. When I got there she looked completely fine until I looked under her feathers and there is a big round hole. The skin is gone and you can see the muscle and then on one side of the muscle it drops off into a hole down into her insides. I'll post pics later, but right now I dont want to disturb her while she is resting. Her comb was leaning towards the purple side when I got to her, but it was warm, but her feet were cold. Her comb is now back to is normal color and shes warm all over (im mean that in a good way--not that shes hot or has a fever or anything). Her comb was cold at one point when I touched it about midway through all of this. She seemed totally fine--alert and all. Then after a while (we were driving to the vet and then ran out of gas on the way to the gas station--aka she was in the car for a while) she became lathargic and wouldnt eat and then when we finally got her home (never ended up going to the vet) I offered her some warm oatmeal and water and she had a little bit of oatmeal and drank the water like she hadnt drank in 3 days (im guessing she hadnt). Then after about 20 minutes or more of constantly drinking water she became lathargic again. Now she is sleeping next to the water and thats all she seems to do. I hope she just drained from not having eaten or drank in 3 days and from the attack, but I dont think thats what it is. Anyways, I have cleaned her wound with saline and peroxide. I have amoxicillan on the way and a glue to seal up the injury.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ooh! poor thing!..i'm so glad you found her!....imagine her being left all alone, still alive suffering somewhere, if you hadnt looked for her?!..[​IMG]....i hope she makes it!..[​IMG]...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  8. mirecipes

mirecipes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    One of my hens got hit by a hawk..
    I heard the ruckus and went runnung out..
    I saw the hawk fly away.
    I gave her oxytetracycline and used neosporin on the wound..
    I kept her in a box with a towel draped over half the box in my bathroom for about a week after that..
    She's totally healed these days and you cant even see a scar (there were 2 gaping holes in the beginning..I even saw bone!)

You might want to give your hen some yogurt after awhile to help the gut bacteria get back to normal [​IMG]

9. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    aww thanks for the support guys!! ill give her yogurt soon! thanks!

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Don't seal the wound up tight, it needs to drain and since she's been out so long, you don't want to seal in any infection that would otherwise drain out. An injury like that warrents an antibiotic. Good luck. Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by