1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured hen - back of skull raw and bloody

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tori8780, Jan 18, 2014.

1. tori8780

tori8780 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    When I let my flock out this morning I noticed the base of the skull on my hen Red was bloody and raw. It looks like all the feathers have been pulled. I believe it might be a mating injury. We have 13 hens and 2 roos and they are about 5.5 months old. None of the other hens have any feathers missing. I brought her inside and put some neosporin on it and put her back out with the flock. It smelled foul :( What can I do for her?

2. CherishHolland

CherishHolland Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Canyon Texas
    You can use blu kote on the injury that way the others won't see pink and be tempted to peck at it more

3. tori8780

Jul 13, 2012
    Unfortunately I dont have any of that on hand and we are going out of town in an hour :( I have a friend staying and watching the birds and dogs. Should I bring the hen inside and leave her in a dog crate until we get back Monday? I really dont want them to hurt her any further.

4. tori8780

Jul 13, 2012
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture. You cant see how bad it is under the feathers, but you can see the hole. Its very raw under there and obviously painful cause she freaked when I put neosporin on. I spent some time out in the coop and didnt see anyone peck at her, but I did see that she has diarrhea too. We're going to be gone for 2 1/2 days. Whats the best thing I can do for her now until we get back?

5. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    You should seperate her, the others could very well go after her and make it worse. Will need watching to make sure no infection sets in. If it smells bad may already be infected. OR if the smell is coming from her mouth sour crop or respiratory, if from her other end vent gleet. You should examine her to find out for sure. Then have your sitter follow on the care once you find out what it is.

6. tori8780

Jul 13, 2012
    The smell is definitely from the wound. I sniffed it and my fingers smelled like it when I was done putting ointment on her. Do I just bring her inside and put her in a dog crate? Will she be OK? Just put food and water in there.

7. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Definitely bring her in. Give her water and maybe something easy to eat. I had a little roo with the same injury, I believe it was a pecking order issue. They WILL keep pecking at her. She needs to be kept away until it heals. Also you want to watch for shock which is a big killer of chickens, get her some clear Gatorade or powdered electrolytes. Good luck

8. tori8780

Jul 13, 2012
    Thanks. I think I have some electrolytes in the basement from when they were chicks. I was going to put ACV in the water too. What should I feed her? I have layer feed, cracked corn, black sunflower seed or I can scramble up some eggs for her.

9. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Eggs are always good for an injured bird! Anything that will have lots of protein and calcium, yogurt would be good too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by