injured hen - coon or badger?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hennylove, Jul 14, 2010.

1. hennylove

hennylove Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern WA Rural
    New here and grateful for any help, We have a girl here who is injured about her face. Her eyes seem to be swollen shut and her head is a bit bloody. She does not seem to have any other injuries. We heard a yelp and I think we interrupted the predator. We have never had problems before, our 4 hens and one roo sleep in the large tree-like bush outside their little house in a fenced enclosure. Yesterday I found one RIR dead just inside the back of the fence . We also have 4 pullets who have started to roost in the bush. Last night we herded the pullets into the barn. Wasn't sure I could convince the full grown ones to move, so we spread some "raccoon repellent" (harharhar) along the fence and set a trap. When we heard the one lone yelp at 1:30am we raced out there and found the tree empty. We looked all around and could find nothing. We live in a very small town, ours is the only house on our block and there are a lot of trees, etc and it was extremely dark. This morning we heard our roo a block or so away, he and one of his white leghorns (his favorites) came back home. He still seems to be calling for his other girlfriend. I found the red henny just sitting in the middle of the pen. (Our pen is about 40 x 30 and the small barn and henhouse are adjacent)

Questions, what should I do for my injured henny? Any suggestions on getting my tree roosting birds into the barn? We have wired our fence but need to get it working right. I am thinking about nite guard, motion-sensor lights and getting a live trap.
    We have a neighbor who thinks they saw a badger a while back. I haven't seen any chat about badgers on this site. By the looks of the RIR we lost, I would say raccoon. Thanks for any help, love this group.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    My guess would be raccoon. We have badgers here, but they've never ever bothered the chickens. Not saying that they wouldn't take the opportunity if it presented itself, but I don't know that they'd go out of their way to get one. Especially since your birds were in a tree. That seems more raccoonish to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by