Injured Hen - help PLEASE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SerendipityMama, May 10, 2016.

1. SerendipityMama

SerendipityMama Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2015
    One of my dogs got one of my chickens, we caught it before he killed her. All I can find is one puncture wound, which I filled with antibiotic, and a few broken blood feathers. She just lays with her head down and eyes closed, moving a tiny bit now and then, I've been getting her to drink (though she won't raise her head, I do it), and I made a thin paste with crumbles and water that she'll take. If I raise her to standing position she'll hold it for about 10.seconds before easing back down.I thought the hunkering down was shock, but she's still that way after two + days. Any suggestions? I don't think our vets here know chickens [​IMG]

2. How old is she?i had a chicken that survived a dog attack and had a big bite on her side and today's her b-day and she's 7!just let her rest keep a eye on her.give her the food and water,sorry I'm not much help.

3. SerendipityMama

May 15, 2015
    I got the two of them (Hyline Bowns) as young laying adults in April [​IMG]

4. SerendipityMama

May 15, 2015
    Really? Is there no one can help me?

5. mrsmichaelene

mrsmichaelene New Egg

May 10, 2016
    I had a bantam rooster attacked by a dog. It took 2 weeks and then he perked right up.

6. chickencrazy21

chickencrazy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    west covina california
    She coukd have internal bleeding which is why shes still acting unusal. Without access to a vet theres not much you can do but wait and watch her. I knoe its killer to just sit by and watch but seems like you are doing all you can. I have lost a few birds to our weim. She either got out of the pen or they flew into the dog pen. I did have two survive but the others died of shock. Just give her time its all you can really do.

7. SerendipityMama

May 15, 2015
    Thank you so much! This morning she had her head up! I'm thinking her neck is just really sore, considering crushing up a low dose (81mg) aspirin in water to give to her. Her poop is a little watery, and the morning after it happened she laid one egg with no she'll, so I had a mess to clean off her backside. I think I'll trim the rest off. She was also prolapsed, but I got it back in and it stayed. She is just such a sweet chicken - she and her "sister" follow me around outside everywhere!

8. chickencrazy21

chickencrazy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    west covina california
    I have a couple that im extreamly attached to so i know what you mean. Also an fyi any wounds that look big in the future super glue. I have used it. One of the guys i buy my chickens from told me to calm down when i called him one day. The older ones had riped the scalp open on a younger one and i could see the skull. He told me relax wash off the blood if possible (which it was since it was still atrached) pinch the skin back together and super glue it shut. I did and she healed magnificintly. I had her over two years. Jist the other day she mysterily disapeared. No signs of a struggle or attack its like she took off on her own to pass away or something. I was so sad. If there isnt skin to close he told me apply layers to make a scab ive evem done that and it works.

9. hayls

hayls Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2016
    We have a cockerel that was attacked he went totally lifeless I can only suggest what I did he made a full recovery. We kept him in the house to keep him warm I would wrap him in a towel syringe him water 3 times a day then made scrambled egg with crushed pellets in. I had to feed him for 3 days little n often and honestly I thought we would loose him.but over 3 weeks he got better at picking food from my hand then eventually the plate. That's all I can suggest keep her warm, hydrated n fed. It may feel hopeless but it's worth trying.

10. SerendipityMama

May 15, 2015
    Thank you! I put a rather large glob of antibiotic ointment in the wound and it seems to have sealed over, but I'll keep the super glue handy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by