Injured Hen-Possibly in Shock?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Samanth, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Samanth

Samanth New Egg

May 8, 2013
    A raccoon entered my coop 3 days ago killing two hens and injuring another. I have isolated the injured hen to warm dim room. I believe she has a broken wing which I am going to wrap but she is laying on one side (the side with the broken wing) and will not move from that position. She can move her legs but when I try to stand her up she falls back or to her side. I have scattered crumble feed around her head and she does eat and will drink if it's within reach. Her eyes are open and she is alert, moving her neck around. I am just not sure what is wrong with her other then the wing. I know she needs time to heal but I am really concerned about her not moving. Is it just shock or could she be paralyzed? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Since it happened 3 days ago, I don't believe it would be shock. It sounds like she may be injured worse than you think. Is it possible to take her to a vet?

3. Samanth

Samanth New Egg

May 8, 2013
    It is possible, I was just hoping to avoid it since she doesn't have any open wounds and seems so alert. She is eating and pooping normally ( i have to assist with the clean up since she is staying in one spot). When I move her she flaps a little but just wants to lay on her one side.

If I were to take her to the vet, what would be the procedure? Surgery? X-rays?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by