1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured hen, should I separate or leave her with the flock?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ciqala, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Ciqala

Ciqala Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    My leghorn who is lowest in the pecking order got a decent gash on the bottom of her ear yesterday. I have two other hens that have gotten a bit bully-ish this past week so am assuming one of them caused it. I cleaned all the dirt out of it and put some antibiotic ointment on it - none of the chickens in the flock are bothering it, although lowest in the flock she is not harassed or constantly picked on per say. Her rooster has actually taken to circling her when one of the meanie top hens starts to bug her, which makes them leave her alone. But he will and does mate with her, he isn't over zealous in his mating but the neck grab is of course still there.

My concerns are how dirty it gets, the rooster possibly grabbing her there instead of the back of the neck and with her being the lowest in the pecking order if I remove her and then put her back she'll be picked on more than just always being shooed away. Should I remove her into a dog crate that I can keep much cleaner than their coop/run and just deal with the re-introduction? Or do you think it would be okay just to leave her with everyone where she'll be happier and clean it multiple times a day? I found a bottle of clear liquid bandage last night digging around my horses' medicines and plan to put that on this morning.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Keep an eye on the situation but if it isn't bad she's much better off with the flock. If you separate her she'll be even lower on the totem pole when she returns, if that's possible.

Iodine (betadine) and campho phenique are good treatments for deep wounds topped with the triplebiotic ointment.
    Both the above are available at any drugstore.

3. Ciqala

Ciqala Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Thank you, I have both of those on hand already. Here's hoping the iodine doesn't draw the attention of the rest of the flock.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The iodine will turn it very dark. I just had to treat 2 birds that got torn up by raccoons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by