injured hen (update)30aug

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by annie3001, Aug 25, 2010.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hello.
    i have a hen a cochin that has been ignored by others (hens). she stays in her coop up on the roost, all day long. she does not go into the run. she only eats/drinks water when the rest of her flock is out free ranging. its sad. i think shes really lonely. [​IMG]
    she loves humans, and flys to us and comes to us. shes unlike any other chicken. [​IMG]

our flock: we have 10 chickens total, one is a rooster, he has mated with the (lonely chicken).

age of our flock: the 6 babies are about 6 months old and i have 4 others over a year old.

today was the icing on the cake, and i had to remove her from them.
    what happened was i heard alot of clatter going on in the coop. i ran outside (fast). i ran and knew it was her being teased by the others. she ran into the run... all of the others started pecking on her. it was so sad. i went inside the run, real quick and grabbed her and went outside.
    i let her be for a bit. so then i needed to examine her, i noticed alot of feathers missing from the top part of her head. i feel if i put her back with them and this happened again, they would def break the skin and there would be a bad injury, and blood. [​IMG]

we have been slowly building another coop, it was in hopes a hen would become broody and this was to be theirs. well its not quite done, a top and some sides need to be complete. then its done. well now its going to be the injured lonely hens new home. i am sad for her.
    i used a cage we had, placed hay, food and water. and a roost for her.
    she is in their as we speak. i put a small blanket on the side of the cage. [​IMG]

question tho, did i do the right thing? i want her to mingle with the others, but i cant make her. [​IMG]
    may i also add, that shes so frightned over everything, slight movement etc.
    i hope we are doing the best for her. [​IMG]

the cage is on our back porch, ourbedroom backs up to the room. [​IMG]
    i hope to complete her home tomorrow.

do you think she will be okay?
    i was thinking of putting my house rabbit "oreo" [​IMG] with her for company. (in the finished coop that is) like having a seperate area for both, but view of eachother. i dunno, i have never had to do anything like this before. sorry for the super long post. any advice given is so much appriciated!

andrea-

UPDATE:!! 30AUG
    I had my chicken in a cage on our porch for only one night. i really wanted her back with the others.
    so the next night, she joined them. [​IMG]
    she is still a loner, but you know what! shes been comming out of her coop... outside actually!!
    while all the others are free ranging,, i see her woddle out,,,, omg!! she did it 2 days in a row!!!
    i am so pleased!!!! its like,, she said "i am never going to that stinkin cage again" and was determined to fight back and be strong. walking strong. [​IMG]
    She walked lightly toward me, as if trying on high heels for the first time, and i called out to her " hi baby, come to momma" in a sweet low voice, she came to me. (like she has always done before). [​IMG]
    my chickens lay eggs for me, but they are truly truly my pets first. all ten of them!!!!! I never thought i could work, have and take care of my 2 toddlers, 2 dogs, a house rabbit and 10 chickens! but yes it can be done.[​IMG] i am ever so greatfully lately! dont know why just am! and she (small chicken) has made me even happier!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    I will finish up the 3rd coop, [​IMG] and have it available if i ever need it. especially ready when winter comes here in connecticut!
    thanks for listeing to me!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i hope someone tells me i did the right thing? ?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  3. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    It's a little odd that she doesn't come out of the coop. Is there another "low" (pecking order) hen that you can put with her? She will be fine for the night.

There is a reason they are mean to her - just not sure what it is?

I have 20 chickens right now of varying ages and sizes - 2 roosters - the rest hens/pullets. They all "get along" but hang in their own little subsets. Everyone free ranges (in my backyard) and only the broodies ever stay in the coop.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hi,
    her size is smaller than the rest of the flock.
    there is not another hen lower or like her on the pecking order.
    i just went outside to check on her... and shes calm and sleeping on the bottom (theres hay for her)
    i cant wait to get her in a secure coop, i just feel so sad for her, like the other girls are such bullies. [​IMG]
    thanks for the reply. [​IMG]
    andrea-

5. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I added to my post - my hens go from big marans all the way down to a 1 lb serama. Age 2 years down to 4 months.

Hmmm perplexing...

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    we do have a campine and shes about the same size of the (injured hen) but the campine can move fast and make her way thru the day, whereas this one is so skiddish.
    all the time.
    if she was put back with the others, would she be pecked to death? i dunno. i think now shes in a better place next door to me. [​IMG] (sotospeak)

7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    see first post for update ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by