Injured hen - what to do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Isleschicks, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Isleschicks

Isleschicks New Egg

Feb 2, 2013
    It looks as if one of the hens has been attacked by something - maybe an owl. Found her hunkered down under a bush in the yard. She was having trouble standing and had a cut near one eye. No other obvious wounds. I took her inside and checked her over - she kept falling over when she stood up but legs are not broken. She tried to fly and did manage a takeoff but upon landing she fell over on her face. She spent the night in the house, drinks water if her beak is put in it or water is dropped on her beak. She spends her time lying down with head turned at an odd angle and eyes sometimes closed. Sometimes she lays on her back. She doesn't seem to be in pain. Any suggestions as to what to do?

2. chickentooth

chickentooth Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Hartland, Michigan
    One of the biggest problems with injured birds is the other hens will take advantage of her weakness and try to bully her and keep injuring her over and over again. Causing her to become afraid and then an outcast.

When you explain her inability stand, more details needed to tell what that problem might be. It could be from strain of the legs or even the neck or back, Probably at least bruising internally. The other issue would be a head injury. unfortunately without taking her to a vet you will just have to give her some time and see if she gets better or worse.

I would segregate her in a warm quite place with food and water, I would also put some eletrolytes into her water. Visit her with treats of some sort that she likes and also that are wet like apples or boiled potato. Just to get her mind off what happened to her, and build back some cofindence and normality. Monitor her and hopefully she will respond positively.

best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by