injured hen won't get up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlady8, Dec 13, 2011.

1. chickenlady8

chickenlady8 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    I have an 8 month old hen who is the lone survivor of a bobcat attack! It happened 9 days ago. She is in a dog crate in my living room in a nest box lined with a towel. She drinks water and has begun pecking at her food that I have in her reach. (I had started her with sugar-water, then vegetable soup since she wouldn't eat but would drink) She has a large wound on her neck (trachea exposed but not punctured, and a small hole on the right side of it that makes sucking noises a few times an hour). The neck wound seems to be healing with no sign of infection. She won't stand however. I can support her chest and she will try but her right leg is weak and her left wing droops down. I have been gently encouraging her once a day after washing her bum (since she doesn't move she's a bit of a mess there). Her eyes are bright and she clucks a tiny bit. Am I doing the right thing by keeping her alive??? I have examined her thoroughly and don't see evidence of broken bones or any other wounds on her body.
    (I had a post under "emergency" but am re-posting hoping for other responses...thank you to those that responded already!)

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Poor girl! I'm surprised she doesn't have a infection from being attacked by a bobcat. Rest is probably what she really needs right know. I would try feeding her scrambled eggs and butter milk. Don't give any more sugar water if she is eating OK, too much sugar water can also be bad. Keeping her wounds clean and putting antibiotic ointment on them. I would be doing the same thing your doing and at least try to save her. It's not to late to put her on antibiotics, that would be helpful. Time will tell if she gets better, sounds like your doing the best you can. I hope she gets better!

3. chickenlady8

Dec 7, 2011
    Thank you for your encouragement. My hen is still hanging in there! She actually moved a bit during the night! This is the first activity on her own in 11 days! She is having regular water and mash with whatever I can find that she might like. She eats very little...maybe a couple of Tablespoons a day, but it is obviously enough to sustain her with so little activity!

4. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Sounds like you are doing a great job! Try giving the scrambled eggs or maybe some tuna. Yogurt is good too! Chickens are very resilient creatures so don't give up! It does take a while to heal! [​IMG]

5. chickenlady8

Dec 7, 2011
    My hen is doing amazingly well! She has advanced to standing occasionally and tonight even ventured -slowly- out of the kennel (I open it up when I'm near by)!! I'm thinking of two things...At what point do I move her outside? I have a rabbit hutch that I had her in when she made the transition from indoors as a newly hatched chick to pre-coop days. Also I'm considering getting some young chicks to keep her company. I feel that any chickens her age or older will pick on her but wouldn't she be lonely?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by