Injured hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by suzy5033, Jan 27, 2017.

1. suzy5033

suzy5033 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2015
    One of my hens almost got killed by a hawk but we scared it away but my hen has a bald spot on her back the size of a small lime that is raw bloody skin. She's separated from the rest of the flock so they can't peck at her. My question is what can I put on it in this winter 25-30 degree weather that won't freeze on her. We would normally use vetracyn but I think it's too cold in the coop.it's about 35-40 degrees in the coop.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  2. satingold2014

satingold2014 New Egg

Jun 14, 2015
    We have had the samething going on here with my chickens we have loss 3 of my chickens to hawks this winter and one has the samething as yours we went to our feed store and they gave us something to put on her so far ots working the other chickens dont bother her .

3. suzy5033

Mar 10, 2015
    Is it just to keep the others from pecking on her or medicated ointment? She needs something on it so it doesn't get infected.

4. satingold2014

satingold2014 New Egg

Jun 14, 2015
    Its medication ointment i dont no what its called i can check tomorrow when i go back to my feed store my husband used it all up but i had another chicken we lost her. her injury were awfull from her attack i put human ointment on her antibiotics ointment on her it heal a few spots but she was just to injured everywhere these hawks are just awfull i dont no what to do my are free roaming chickens i think we are going to stop that and build a pen with a top on it

5. suzy5033

Mar 10, 2015
    I don't let mine free range but heavy snow made Thierry run collapse and while we were rebuilding it a hawk found them. I locked them in their coop yesterday while we finished repairing the run. I knew that if I let them continue to be out and unprotected that the hawk would come right back. They know where their food source is once they find it.my husband is going to the feed store in the morning, I will have him ask about the ointment. Thank you for the info

6. satingold2014

satingold2014 New Egg

Jun 14, 2015
    Your welcome im not going to let them roam anymore my husband is going to make a run tomorrow with a wire roof so nothing can get them or all be loosing more there is tons of hawks around here there sneaking things. I went out to put my chickens to be tonight and one is just laying there not moving we pick her up checked her to make sure she did not get attack we put her down and she just tip over she walked in her pen ive never seen anything like that she is over a year old any ideas ???

7. suzy5033

Mar 10, 2015
    When mine was attacked yesterday we thought she was dead because when the hawk flew away she just laid there like she was dead.And it was for several minutes. But when we went to pick her up, she got up and started to walk. My husband says they go into shock. Maybe yours almost got attacked again tonight and whatever was out there took off when you came out? I don't really have an answer. Sorry!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  8. satingold2014

satingold2014 New Egg

Jun 14, 2015
    Thank you we layed her in her coop box maybe she got scared cause we put them to bed right at dusk they all no when to go into there barn last night we noticed she was laying on the floor by the door and not on her roosting post im just hoping she is ok in the morning i hate loosing my chickens thank you

9. suzy5033

Mar 10, 2015
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by