Injured hen

ShawnaLeigh

Chirping
May 21, 2019
i am brand new to backyard chickens. While I was cleaning the coop I had them in temporary pen and my dogs got out and attacked. I have 8 and only one is really bad off. She hasn’t moved in two days. I have been giving her sugar water and soaked her in epsom salt and it doesn’t appear to have any open wounds but she won’t use her feet and her right wing. I have her in dog kennel away from others. I am not sure what else to do. I also gave her a scrambled egg but she won’t eat. Help!

She hasn’t moved in two days. I have been giving her sugar water and soaked her in epsom salt and it doesn’t appear to have any open wounds but she won’t use her feet and her right wing.
Hi @ShawnaLeigh :frow Welcome To BYC
Can you post some photos of your hen?
Is she alert enough to eat/drink on her own?

I would take another close look through her feathers to see if there are any wounds or bruising. Did the dog get a hold of her or was she trampled by the flock?

847F1BED-3338-484D-88A7-696DD09D33CB.jpeg
1F2DF615-EA13-41EF-A2A4-67BFC063A5A8.jpeg
Hi @ShawnaLeigh :frow Welcome To BYC
Can you post some photos of your hen?
Is she alert enough to eat/drink on her own?

I would take another close look through her feathers to see if there are any wounds or bruising. Did the dog get a hold of her or was she trampled by the flock?
Yes she is alert. I had to force feed water to her until yesterday but now she is drinking and eating scrambled eggs by herself. That huge bruise looks horrible and there is a small bone sticking out. You can barely fell it. I have been rinsing her back end and keeping flies away from her but I hate to think I am keeping her alive and she is suffering and dying a slow death. That is what is haunting me. Her feet are really hot and she won’t stand at all, she has not been on her feet since Sunday and today is Wednesday. The dog got her.

Can you take her to a vet?

The poor sweet girl :hugs She's bruised up for sure. Can you tell if the swelling is air filled or fluid filled? Does she have trouble breathing?
You can feel a bone sticking out? Under the wing or where?
Dogs squeeze and crushed, so I would say she has some internal injuries, how bad, it's really hard to know.
You can try a product called Swat to help keep flies off her. I'm sure she likes being outside, but keeping flies off is important. It sounds like you are doing everything you can for her.

Back
Top Bottom