Injured Hen

kittyy924

Hatching
Aug 30, 2021
Central Florida
I got all my chickens at the same time in May 2021, 2 were two months older than the other two hens and rooster but they all came from the same farm. They have always lived together and my older two, Rock Island Reds, always ran the flock. My rooster is now obviously bigger than everyone else and over the weekend he attacked one of my reds. He ripped the back portion of her crop off and her entire ear/ear lobe is shredded. I cleaned her up the best that I could; however, it was still a mess. She started to heal and everything appeared to be back to normal, and even went right back to laying eggs, so I thought it was maybe just a violent mating, but he attacked her again yesterday while I was standing right there. He wasn't trying to mount her and attacked the top of her head while standing in front of her. He also again ripped open the side of her face to the point it was dripping bright red blood. I have kept her in my tack room since then but does anyone have any advice on how to help her heal? I want to make sure she doesn't have any long term issues. I also have no idea what to do with my rooster. Is he continuing to attack her because she is still injured or is he just turning into an aggressive rooster? The one hen is the only one he has ever injured or attack.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

John_Lofgren

Chirping
Oct 26, 2021
I got all my chickens at the same time in May 2021, 2 were two months older than the other two hens and rooster but they all came from the same farm. They have always lived together and my older two, Rock Island Reds, always ran the flock. My rooster is now obviously bigger than everyone else and over the weekend he attacked one of my reds. He ripped the back portion of her crop off and her entire ear/ear lobe is shredded. I cleaned her up the best that I could; however, it was still a mess. She started to heal and everything appeared to be back to normal, and even went right back to laying eggs, so I thought it was maybe just a violent mating, but he attacked her again yesterday while I was standing right there. He wasn't trying to mount her and attacked the top of her head while standing in front of her. He also again ripped open the side of her face to the point it was dripping bright red blood. I have kept her in my tack room since then but does anyone have any advice on how to help her heal? I want to make sure she doesn't have any long term issues. I also have no idea what to do with my rooster. Is he continuing to attack her because she is still injured or is he just turning into an aggressive rooster? The one hen is the only one he has ever injured or attack.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
The rooster might very well see her as "the Weaklink in the flock" which may cause him to attack her. Unfortunately, I think the only solution would be to separate the 2 permanently. Have you had any other issues with the rooster attacking other hens?

kittyy924

Hatching
Aug 30, 2021
Central Florida
The rooster might very well see her as "the Weaklink in the flock" which may cause him to attack her. Unfortunately, I think the only solution would be to separate the 2 permanently. Have you had any other issues with the rooster attacking other hens?
No he's never attacked her or anyone else before. He is actually one of my friendliest chickens and has never had any issues. She and the other Red have always been top of the flock which is why it was weird he attacks her.

John_Lofgren

Chirping
Oct 26, 2021
No he's never attacked her or anyone else before. He is actually one of my friendliest chickens and has never had any issues. She and the other Red have always been top of the flock which is why it was weird he attacks her.
That is odd.. back when I had roosters with my hens (I recently separated them) The roosters where particularly hostile to the Leader of the pecking order from the hen side. So I wonder if maybe he wants to put them in their place and show dominance?

John_Lofgren

Chirping
Oct 26, 2021
As for the injury sure of it, it should heal just fine as long as it doesn't get infected. I had a hen that got Parker of her throat and ear ripped off by a raccoon but after that we kept her in a clean, safe environment and it healed just fine.

Top Bottom