1. Kelly's heroes

Kelly's heroes New Egg

Jan 18, 2010
    My 10 month old hen was attacked by a dog three days ago. She's eating and drinking including antibiotics in her water, but she's missing a large patch of skin on her back. I have irrigated the wound thoroughly and have it dressed with surgical gauze made for open wounds as such. My concern of course is infection and whether she will recover such a large patch. It's approximately 4 inches by three, or from wing to wing and bottom of her cape to middle of her back. We sure do love our chicks and having lost one in same attack, would hate to lose our trooper now. Any advice or help is appreciated. Thanks folks.

2. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I am so sorry your going through this.

just keep your hen seperated, warm and watch for infection. Sounds like you have it covered, be sure to check the injury daily.
    I have seen dog bites go either way. I have had some recoveries and some losses.

it will take some time to heal, but if there is no infection, she should be fine.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  3. Kelly's heroes

Kelly's heroes New Egg

Jan 18, 2010
    Thank you for your reply and concern. I'm new to this computer stuff, guess I've spent more time with my chickens and goats, and trying to keep them all out of my garden. I'm amazed that she's up and around and quite perky considering she's so exposed. Along with the bandages and meds, I've ordered an apron or saddle to help protect the spot. Hopefully the others won't make fun of her, otherwise they'll all have one. ha ha.

4. jenni

jenni New Egg

Jan 18, 2010
    Wow, I have the same problem going on. We lost 3 chickens in our attack and one's still touch and go. Everyone told me to get Blu Kote and that seems to have helped slot. Just be careful when you spray it, my husband is still blue! Haha! But it is supposed to help the wound from getting infected, so next time you change her bandage, maybe give it a try. Good luck with your girl! Maybe we will both get lucky.

5. LovinMyHensInNC!

LovinMyHensInNC! Chillin' With My Peeps

A couple months ago my hen was attacked and had a huge open wound that sounds similar to your case. She is now fully recovered and I am hardly able to distinguish her from her sisters. I used an ointment called Nu-Stock and it worked wonders on her wound! It claims to "heal from the inside out" and ideal for deep wounds. And you only have to apply it once every three days. I got it from my local feed store. Good luck and sounds like you are definitely on top of things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by